New IMS fuel tank leak

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Ewbarger

New IMS fuel tank leak

Post by Ewbarger »

So, I installed the new IMS tank a few weeks ago. I have one trail ride on it. Opened my storage unit and gas fumes smacked me in my face. My first thought was my XR400 was leaking because it has been sitting since my accident in May. Found a very clean engine on the kdx and a spot on the floor. The new tank is leaking at the mount insert for the shrouds.
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: New IMS fuel tank leak

Post by Kawibunga »

Well that's crappy! Any chance a screw pushed through being too long? Could be a casting defect too around the moulded in nut. But that shouldn't be happening. Let us know what you find out.........
Go Riders!
Ewbarger

Post by Ewbarger »

I had the bolts finger tight. The previous owner had over tighten on the oem tank and that is why I went to a new tank. It looks like gas is coming around the insert.
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I had that happen several years ago on a Clark tank. Contacted seller, had to jump through their hoops, but they stood behind it. Stuff happens even to the best manufacturers. Only down side to mine was about 2 weeks of not using my mc till I got new tank.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I would contact the seller or IMS direct and get them to warranty it out. Don't let them try to get out of replacing it!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Ewbarger

Post by Ewbarger »

Yeah, I contacted the ebay seller and they said I need to contact IMS. Sucks cause I want to ride the bike. I had a motorcycle accident in May and I'm almost back to normal. I bought the kdx for a good deal knowing that it ran good but need alot of little things. So working on it was a good part of my therapy. Now it's time to get on and ride!
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

I wonder if something can help for short to mid term. I'd drain fuel, dry insert area (maybe place in warm sun for a day), remove insert, apply Yamabond to seat & insert, and re-install insert. If insert cannot be removed, then do most of the above followed by thick finger smear of Yamabond on contact area between tank & insert.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Don't try to fix it or you will void any warranty or hopes to replace it. Ask me how I know.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Yeah and if you do, don’t use yamabond. Use a proper epoxy, or if there’s enough meat around the area, here’s how I’ve successfully fixed inserts in the past. Insert bolt, use a slide hammer to remove the insert. Heat the hell out of it with a propane torch. Press back into location. It will melt the tank plastic around itself creating a permanent repair.
'00 KDX 220R
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

I like Nick's repair