Need help with idle screw setting

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Ewbarger

Need help with idle screw setting

Post by Ewbarger »

I bought a 2000 KDX200 a few weeks ago and it runs pretty good but a little rich. It would stumble like on a corner and you slowed down and then try to throttle it. So I bought one size smaller main and pilot jet raised the needle up one and cleaned the carb. I did not count the turns on idea screw. Now that I have the carb on, I can't get it to start. My first guess is idle screw. I turned in the idle screw some and still no start. Could someone tell me how many turns out theirs is?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Need help with idle screw setting

Post by bufftester »

A stumble like that often times can be resolved by lowering the float height to 18mm. You need to run through the carb tuning procedure to get it dialed in. The idle screw affects idle and likely is not your issue. The air screw should be in the vicinity of 1.5 turns out and is where you need to start to get it all dialed in.
Ewbarger

Post by Ewbarger »

So I put the needle back to stock position, left the 158 main and 45 pilot in check the float height and its at 18mm. It has spark, 150psi compression, and fuel valve is sending gas. Still won't start?
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Is the spark plug wet? If the plug is wet, try a brand-new NGK BR8ES plug.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Ewbarger

Post by Ewbarger »

Don't know what I did, but it's running now. Has good throttle response also. So here is the final settings, 158 main, 45 pilot, air screw out 2 and needle on 3rd groove. Im at about 1000 feet. Bike has a fmf gnarlywoods pipe and fmf can. 40:1 mix