KIPS installed correctly? New bike to me. 1998 KDX 220

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Curly
Supporting Member

KIPS installed correctly? New bike to me. 1998 KDX 220

Post by Curly »

Hello. I just bought this 1998 KDX 220 that had the motor totally gone through. I'm questioning if the KIPS system was installed correctly. Bike seems to have little compression when kicking over but does start after 2-3 kicks.
Once warmed up it never gets on the pipe and feels lethargic. Gets to the point you think it should get on the pipe and just stays at that mid RPM range.
From these pictures can you tell if the linkage is setup correctly?
Without moving any linkage the sub-valves are half way open as well as the main top valve. When I rotate the pawl by hand the sub-valves close as well as the main valve.

The exhaust is totally stock, I did not verify anything with it, I have a new FMF setup I will be putting on.
I did ask the guy I bought it from what manual he used and he sent me a link to the very first one produced. He said he followed it and all timing marks lined up.

Thanks for any advice.
Attachments
Left gear.jpg
Left gear.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2194 times
right sgear.jpg
right sgear.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2194 times
right side activated1.jpg
right side activated1.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 2195 times
right side stationary1.jpg
right side stationary1.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2195 times
left side stationary1.gif
left side stationary1.gif (2.25 MiB) Viewed 2195 times
2001 KDX 220, bought 8/10/22 from original owner, still had factory tires. Now ported, milled head, bored carb and revalved/sprung suspension.
1998 KDX 220 for wife (my spare)
2004 KDX 200 - Sold
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KIPS installed correctly? New bike to me. 1998 KDX 220

Post by KrispyKDX »

I have not tried it but I think once linked you should not be able to rotate the main KIPS shaft unless if the governor pin is broken.
Did you unbolt the left-handed nut on top of the governor shaft? Be careful doing so as it is threaded left-handed and you must hold that shaft with a wrench. But before I’d do so just look if the KIPS operates by looking under the slotted cover you already unscrewed (you first pic). And see if it rotates. See this video:
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Right side gear turned all the way counter-clockwise, is everything is closed.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Curly
Supporting Member

Post by Curly »

The KIPS shaft is still bolted to the pawl, I’m able to rotate the pawl/shaft without removing the left-handed nut. When I do rotate the pawl/shaft it rotates clockwise and the gear on other side of bike rotates counter-clockwise fully.
When I rotate the gears from either side of the bike the valves go to this position (I don’t know if this is open or closed).
Attachments
right side activated1.jpg
right side activated1.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 2155 times
2001 KDX 220, bought 8/10/22 from original owner, still had factory tires. Now ported, milled head, bored carb and revalved/sprung suspension.
2004 KDX 200 - Sold
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

you have a broken kips shaft (inside the right side cover if you can rotate it with the nut still on. That is why it has no oomph. The valves look right. You need to replace the KIPS shaft pin (search this site for lots of examples)
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

What I also think. Part number is 13236-1260. Easy job but be careful as the nut is reverse threaded and be careful when you remove the right side cover as some parts will fall (KIPS governor and maybe the kickstart washer). If you don’t have a manual I suggest you read some threads on here and look at some videos.
Curly
Supporting Member

Post by Curly »

Well ain’t that a kick in the crotch. Just bought the bike and was told “there’s not a nut or bolt broke, it’s ready to go.”
I have three other projects I’m in the middle of, once I get them done I can dive into this one. I’m probably 30 days away from getting to this.
I’ll get some parts and gaskets ordered right away.

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing of knowledge, very much appreciated. I’m going to find the way to donate to the site, EXCELLENT SITE!
2004 KDX 200 - Sold
KrispyKDX
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by KrispyKDX »

You’re welcomed. Again easy to do. Make sure you find that old pin in there before putting it back together!
I find this video quite funny!

And I also bought a ready to ride KDX last winter. I ended up tearing all the engine and rebuilding it from to bottom since the crank seals were leaking.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Well technically there isn't a broken bolt or nut...its a broken actuator lol
sperz1

Post by sperz1 »

I just cleaned my KIPS and replaced the sub valves with some SS ones from the UK. Once I got in there it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
Curly
Supporting Member

Post by Curly »

Figured it out. The guy I bought it from that “Totally Rebuilt” it clearly didn’t know what he was doing.

-kIPS advancer lever isn’t broke but has major wear grooves on each side (need to figure out what is wrong with the Advancer Assembly
-didn’t come close to indexing the KIPS sub-values correctly
-Subvalves were installed wrong (like first publication manual says)
-didn’t put O-ring on exhaust valve
And
-installed new Wiseco piston in a cylinder that badly needs to go to Millennium for replating
-Installed reed cage 180 degrees off
-Mounted directional front tire backward
2004 KDX 200 - Sold
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Wow. :shock:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue