96 200 No spark

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
hellwig

96 200 No spark

Post by hellwig »

Hey all, I've been a member for a minute but haven't posted much. My 96 has always been a reliable bike up until about 6 months ago when riding it was stumbling and I figured it was a dirty carb, so about a month ago I pulled it out, cleaned her off and pulled the carb- it was surprisingly clean, but I cleaned it anyway, reassembled and no start at all. I have changed the plug twice with new ones, and found no spark. changed the coil with a kx coil I had and swapped / remade the spark cap connection on both- no change.

I also checked the kill switch and even removed it from the equation, same result.

So, I tell you all this to see if there is a sticky or thread somewhere that outlines all the procedure for checking the specs on the electrical system relating to getting fire to the plug. I do not have a service manual that goes that in depth and if anyone has a good source for finding that I would be happy to buy one!
The cyclepedia manual I downloaded is detailed but lacking.
TIA-
the wig
hellwig

Re: 96 200 No spark

Post by hellwig »

disregard for now, a Google search yielded much better results and I was able to find some specific specs and determined the coil itself is bad. Ordered a new one from RMA and supposed to be here today. Hopefully the cdi voodoo black magic box is ok cause that bad boy is almost $500. I'll report back for those interested once I get the new coil on.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sorry I somehow missed your question. Ok, hope that solves it. If not please let us know. There are much cheaper alternatives to the factory CDI available and we can help you with that.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
hellwig

Post by hellwig »

well either I did it wrong or the numbers for checking the coil were bs. Not the coil. Waiting on a second hand cdi from ebay now.
Thanks for the response- I am interested in your solution for the cdi. After this I wouldn't mind having a spare especially using a used one.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

As far as CDI's go, there is a cheap $42 knockoff of the stock CDI on Ebay here (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018Y7TGFA/?c ... _lig_dp_it) then I have my own adjustable CDI I built and have available for $125.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you check the stator area out?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
hellwig

Post by hellwig »

Hey all, my fleabay cdi arrived today and that solved my issues. I guess I didn't mention it but I had visibly checked the stator, stator output, wiring condition, as well as rung out every wire in the harness. The stator output was in spec. I also replaced the coil with no joy.

SS109- I am interested in learning more about your adjustable cdi- send me more info/ links please, I do want to have a spare for this old used fleabay one.

Also if anyone can tell me the proper test for the ignition coil- that would be awesome too- might have saved me $100.

Also a copy of the KAWI Service Manual - do y'all have a solid source for that? I've checked ebay, is that the way?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

hellwig wrote: 07:24 am Jul 23 2022 SS109- I am interested in learning more about your adjustable cdi- send me more info/ links please, I do want to have a spare for this old used fleabay one.
Here's my thread on it: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=25353
'11 GasGas EC250R
hellwig

Post by hellwig »

sign me up, I tried to send you a pm but it took me 10 min to see that I can't / not a contributing member. Then I tried to find where I can become a contributing member so I can pm you and could not. With that said, you can email me or send me another link. If you have any ready, I'll buy it now, if not I would like to get in line for one.
Thanks for the replies.
j