Transmission oil

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Mr.Green

Transmission oil

Post by Mr.Green »

What are you others using for transmission oil?
I have been using Shell Rotella 15w-40 white bottle, and recently switched to the Motorex CrossPower 10W-50 and the results are amazing.Smoother shifts and direct engagement .
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Transmission oil

Post by SS109 »

ATF Type F for years now on all my bikes. It helps smooth out shifts, makes finding neutral easier, and it keeps everything sparkly clean inside! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

Ok,thanks SS109
I will drain the Motorex in one of them and give the Valvoline type f a try.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, stick with what works for you. I've had good luck with it while others don't like it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

I bought 6 quarts of it last summer but haven’t tried it yet.
I will give it a try.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Type F here too. Good stuff.
'00 KDX 220R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Dang y’all!!! I’ve been using cheap 10w40 dinosaur oil since in both our bikes since we got into this, now you’re making me curious about trying something more expensive!

Am having trouble finding N and hitting 4th lately, must be time.

Is this something that I can just drain the old stuff and fill the F or is there more to this?
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MoonStomper wrote: 06:01 am Mar 28 2022 Is this something that I can just drain the old stuff and fill the F or is there more to this?
Just drain and fill. At your next oil change all the regular oil that was left over will be flushed out. Give it a shot for one fill and see what you think. If you don't like it just go back to regular oil.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

MoonStomper wrote: 06:01 am Mar 28 2022 Dang y’all!!! I’ve been using cheap 10w40 dinosaur oil since in both our bikes since we got into this, now you’re making me curious about trying something more expensive!

Am having trouble finding N and hitting 4th lately, must be time.

Is this something that I can just drain the old stuff and fill the F or is there more to this?
ATF-F is often times cheaper than regular old dino oil. Added bonus!

Goes without saying, but make sure that it is "Type F". That's the only kind safe for wet clutches. Can't just dump in Mercon or something.
'00 KDX 220R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Type F is all I've ever used in my KDX. In fact it is specifically recommended by the auto-clutch mfg.
smelonas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by smelonas »

Slick_Nick wrote: 09:14 am Mar 28 2022
Goes without saying, but make sure that it is "Type F". That's the only kind safe for wet clutches. Can't just dump in Mercon or something.

Please elaborate on what is meant by wet-clutches? I rebuild slushboxes, and I will just say right now that every clutch pack I have ever seen in any trans, was in fact, wet. And I also soak the new clutches before I put them in any build.

The principles from an automatic transmission to our motorcycles are the exact same. There is mechanical pressure, either fluid or spring, that applies pressure to a plate that pushes on clutches that are soaked in ATF/oil to steels that drive a hub.

I am just curious because I have been mixing dex3 and ATF+4 for years and I dont see why either of those, or any other ATF wouldnt function the same. If anything, dex3 would be a great candidate because it lacks a lot of the friction modifiers of modern synthetic ATFs.
2003 KDX200 - Second Owner - KX Forks - Odometer intact - FRP shock valving - PC exhaust - Kickstand and handguards intact
Lubbock Trail Rider Member since 2021
NV200 2019, 2021, 2022

The lack of a like function on this forum is disturbing.

TX300i in my sights :tonqe:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

This is the same argument as what premix ratio is best. You can use any motor oil or transmission fluid in your bike. Just make sure you change it frequently. I like ATF because it has better shear protection than dino oil, but mostly I use it cuz its cheaper. the so called energy conserving oils with friction modifiers will work fine as well. All that hype is about emissions, not friction. Run what you like, change it regularly, and worry about more important things...like is Juengling better than Stella (of course it is lol)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

smelonas wrote: 10:23 pm Apr 29 2022
Slick_Nick wrote: 09:14 am Mar 28 2022

Please elaborate on what is meant by wet-clutches? I rebuild slushboxes, and I will just say right now that every clutch pack I have ever seen in any trans, was in fact, wet. And I also soak the new clutches before I put them in any build.

The principles from an automatic transmission to our motorcycles are the exact same. There is mechanical pressure, either fluid or spring, that applies pressure to a plate that pushes on clutches that are soaked in ATF/oil to steels that drive a hub.

I am just curious because I have been mixing dex3 and ATF+4 for years and I dont see why either of those, or any other ATF wouldnt function the same. If anything, dex3 would be a great candidate because it lacks a lot of the friction modifiers of modern synthetic ATFs.
Wet clutch as opposed to a dry one, like you'd find on a Ducati or something. I've even seen some of those have their clutches open to the outside of the engine, so you can actually see it in operation while the bike is running. Pretty cool!
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, Dextron, Mercon, ATF+4, Type F are all built for wet clutches. However, they do have different properties so your clutch will possibly behave differently depending on which you use. Type F is preferred in our bikes (and car racing auto transmissions) due to the fact it was designed to help shifts engage quicker in an automatic transmission (ie; less slippage) whereas the others are all designed for a smoother shift equaling more slippage.
'11 GasGas EC250R
smelonas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by smelonas »

SS109 wrote: 10:53 am Apr 30 2022 Yes, Dextron, Mercon, ATF+4, Type F are all built for wet clutches. However, they do have different properties so your clutch will possibly behave differently depending on which you use. Type F is preferred in our bikes (and car racing auto transmissions) due to the fact it was designed to help shifts engage quicker in an automatic transmission (ie; less slippage) whereas the others are all designed for a smoother shift equaling more slippage.
So I guess I never looked too into what the basis of Type F was. Years of factory use, etc, until just now. I figured it was much newer than it was. But come to find out it was implemented the same year my mom was born. So thats a wake up call.. :kick:

So yes, I agree it is probably the most best suited for these bikes. One could use dex 2 or 3 if felt the need to search it out, just because it has such a lack of modifiers in it, but Type F is readily available as said, I might even give it a go this time around.

For that matter, I like to use Dex 3 with a bottle of lubegard in my dodge builds. Stuff really improves shifts a lot, but it doesnt last half as long as ATF+4.
2003 KDX200 - Second Owner - KX Forks - Odometer intact - FRP shock valving - PC exhaust - Kickstand and handguards intact
Lubbock Trail Rider Member since 2021
NV200 2019, 2021, 2022

The lack of a like function on this forum is disturbing.

TX300i in my sights :tonqe: