Supertight squeeze for throttle cable… and slide question…

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Supertight squeeze for throttle cable… and slide question…

Post by SS109 »

For the record, I have my cable routed like you did behind the petcock. All that matters is proper cable operation and it will operate perfectly like that. There is zero binding that way and my boot hasn't worn through.

One thing no one has considered is manufacturing tolerances and the small amount of wiggle room in the engine mounting. It can all add up to cause the interference you're seeing and especially so adding an aftermarket parts in to the equation. I'll try to get a pic of mine tomorrow.

As for the petcock itself, I think I found a better fitting one than the one I bought and recommended. The one used on the '18 YZ250X will fit much better as it has a straight down outlet instead of the rear facing one.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Thanks for the suggestion on this other petcock. I really do like my routing like it is, but that might be even stealthier yet. I see other bikes out there with fuel filters and wires and stuff hanging out around that area ready to be snagged and just wonder how they get away with it.

Here’s the stock reed boot that came off mine - it’s at least a half inch, probably closer to 3/4” narrower than the Boyesen on there now, no wonder the carb is so far back, but OH MAN SHE RIPS!
9335DED9-41B4-45A0-AABC-E57E0B718CFB.jpeg
9335DED9-41B4-45A0-AABC-E57E0B718CFB.jpeg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Slick_Nick, I appreciate your input a ton! The cable isn’t bound up, it’s operating perfectly. Initially I couldn’t understand how the top of my carb was tucked in so tight beneath the frame brace. It was going to be that way no matter which petcock I ran due to the wide Boyesen Radvalve setup Fredette upgraded me too. I didn’t realize before how much wider it was than stock. I don’t think my throttle cable was run outboard of the oem petcock when I got this bike so that has never been an issue to me. It’s set up now like I had it before. I have Shoe Goo on the throttle boot to insulate it from tearing again, I’ll keep an eye that.

Next time I visit Jeff I’ll take a close look (and pictures) of how he runs his stuff and report back.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ask him if he will cut you a deal on his VHS cassette of setting up a 1995+ KDX. It is a great video.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

RE: video… you are right I should! Hoping to get a in-person ice racing setup later this month for the Steel Shoe race. Hopefully things stay cold up here so there is enough ice! Just hooked up to a unit in Middlebury, Indiana and it’s 10 degrees up here, when I left Virginia this afternoon it was 58!

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA