Spooge from right side water pump cover?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
DoosieMcDooser

Spooge from right side water pump cover?

Post by DoosieMcDooser »

I’ve got a leak on the right side of the engine from what looks like the water pump cover area? See attached photos. I can hear air being sucked in or out of this leak on the right side, sometimes it whistles down there really loudly. It almost looks like a bolt is missing in the photos but I was unable to confirm via parts fiche since I don’t really know what I’m looking at on this old 2 stroke. Can anyone tell me what’s up with this? All the splooge looks like it’s coming from this hole behind and under the water pump. Only issues with the bike are high idle at start up and I have to run the idle screw all the way in for it to idle haha. And quite a bit of smoke/splooge from exhaust. Still pulls hard though. I’d appreciate any help guys
Attachments
D655F067-55FF-47F3-8D79-B62DA779AF05.jpeg
D655F067-55FF-47F3-8D79-B62DA779AF05.jpeg (873.16 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
DoosieMcDooser

Re: Spooge from right side water pump cover?

Post by DoosieMcDooser »

I just found another thread that states that hole is a tell tale for a leaking water pump seal and that a bolt does not go in there. How am I leaking oil splooge from there?? Shouldn’t I be leaking coolant from that hole?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

exhaust mount looks broken

any chance the pipe is not aligned (mounted) properly, allowing spooge to escape from the pipe to cylinder junction?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
DoosieMcDooser

Post by DoosieMcDooser »

Thanks for the reply kdxgarage, I’ll check that when I get home. The leak is very localized to that hole right behind the water pump drain area though, I cleaned it up a bit before I took the picture. It’s dripping down onto my skid plate directly under that tell-tale hole and is black like the spooge coming out of the end of the silencer. There’s not really any on the surrounding area above or around it that would make me think it’s where the pipe meets the cylinder. I’ll check the mounting of the pipe anyway though and get back to you 👍
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That is the weep hole for the water pump mechanical seal. That seal separates the coolant and the transmission oil from playing together. If anything is leaking from there its time for a water pump/seal replacement. Lots of threads on here about it. The spooge is oil and a bit of coolant and whatever other crud is on the bottom of your engine. Would be worth draining the oil and checking for contamination to see how bad the seal is. You can verify it's leaking by cleaning the area up real good and drying it, then give it a shot of baby powder and fire it up and watch. If it's leaking you'll see it.

Your idle issues can be corrected by jetting the carb properly (after making sure everything is mechanically sound).

I agree with KDX that pipe mount where it attaches to the pipe looks broken. Could be a weird shadow, but worth a check.
DoosieMcDooser

Post by DoosieMcDooser »

Thanks a lot man! That makes sense, and now I that I think about it I had noticed my trans fluid being pretty low even after I recently changed it. I’ll get one of those seals ordered and open her up to check out what’s in there. Thanks for the replies guys.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

For the water pump mechanical seal, its also good practice to change out the bearing and oil seal for the water pump which are in the right side cover.
For all OEM parts it would be:
  • 49063-1055 Mechanical seal
  • 670B1506 O-ring
  • 92049-1259 Oil seal
  • 601B6201U Bearing
  • 11061-0123 Water Pump Gasket
  • 1109-1996 Clutch cover gasket
Probably 40-50 bucks depending on where you get your parts from. If you have never done a mechnaical seal, buy an extra one :grin: