In Two Kicks

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
comradealexie

Re: In Two Kicks

Post by comradealexie »

oh boy do I have some findings.

After removing the pipe and wedging my phone up to the exhaust port, I can say with certainty that my cylinder is looking a bit tired. Their does appear to be a good dome of carbon on top of piston, just as Slick_Nick pointed out. The more worrying part, is the coolant that came out of the exhaust pipe when I turned it over and and that is probably turning the bottom end into a lovely milk shake. I think (hope) that this leak only happened after the pressure test. Either way, it looks like I'm doing a top end before I'm doing any more riding.
Attachments
20210802_134239.jpg
20210802_134239.jpg (574.27 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Coolant getting in to the cylinder would cause your high compression reading. The cylinder definitely needs to come off so you can check for cracks and cylinder head warpage.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Time to read up in the ol' service manual and disassemble and inspect.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
302220KDX

Post by 302220KDX »

I have had this happen on a number of bikes over the years, checked every thing multiple times and couldn't find a reason.... Then I remembered !!!! If the idle is set to high it alows air to flow past the slide and not create enough vacuum through the choke circut to draw fuel. I suggest backing out the idle screw and try it when it's cold with the choke on- see if she snorts. You can always just hold the throttle open a bit then to start it and reset lowest possible idle when warm
comradealexie

Post by comradealexie »

Thank you everyone for your advice. I admitted defeat once I saw the coolant and the scratches in the cylinder. After calling around, brought the bike to a one man operation called Hi-Per Sports in Maple Grove Minnesota to get it checked out. The cylinder was heavily scratched, the KIPS had probably not been cleaned in the last few top ends, and as 202220KDX suggested, the idle was set high. Mike, the owner, did a full top end and got the cylinder rechromed. When I showed up to pick the bike up, it started in one kick. I am really excited to ride once the snow clears ups. Know how the bike is supposed to feel will give me much better chance to notice when something is wrong. Next task will probably be checking out and greasing all my bearings, cause I'm betting those weren't taken care of much either.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, all right! I am glad you got that portion situated.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Glad to hear you got her figured out. One thing though, do NOT wait for spring! Jeff Fredette sells the spiked tires and fenders to rip your KDX on the ice this winter!
https://shop.frpoffroad.com/browse.htm? ... opby=-4349

Check this out and don’t miss out you live in the perfect place for it…

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dtKXCdVK3-c&feature=share

Let’er RIP!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA