KDX 220R - The Rebuild - Part Two

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

KDX 220R - The Rebuild - Part Two

Post by Slick_Nick »

Finally got around to uploading the pics from the 2018 rebuild of the KDX! Since my original rebuild in 2011 or whenever, I racked up about 200 hours on the bike. It was tired, filthy, and in need of freshening up! Since 2018, I've put less than 5 hours on the bike, it still looks mint. Decided to go full bore this time, and strip everything down, even try a home-brew zinc plating setup for all the hardware. (I've since switched to a full Caswell setup.) In my opinion, while the "home brew" zinc plating is cheaper, the headaches involved with getting a good finish are just not worth the cost savings.

So, without further ado, let's get into it. These are already "old" to me, but it's fun to go down memory lane and revisit the build. Please enjoy!

The bike's frame had not aged well after 20 years. Several "rattle can" touch ups, banging off countless rocks, tip-overs, etc. It was in dire need of a proper refinishing. The tear down goes quickly:

With the frame gutted, and engine removed, we can see what we're dealing with

The engine ran okay, but she was down on power, and TIRED. Believe me when I say it was a HARD 200 hours.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: KDX 220R - The Rebuild - Part Two

Post by Slick_Nick »

With the frame stripped down, we can see what we're dealing with. The original paint is toast, there are some rattle-can repairs, it's just done for.

I ordered "Kawasaki Green" powder from powderbuythepound.com as well as a swatch. Dissapointingly, it's not a perfect match. Needs more "yellow" but its close. Ah well, it's a bush bike. Frame and spring loaded up, it was off to the powder coaters.

With the frame gone, we can turn our attention to the engine. RB head still looks great, the Wiseco piston however, shows evidence of a 4-corner seizure starting to take place, which is weird because I am ALWAYS conscious about warming it up gently first before riding. Looks like one of the crank seals may have been weeping as well.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Frame returned from the powdercoating shop after being blasted down to bare metal. I am pleased with the results!

This hardware is old and crusty, and just wont do!

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Fresh zinc plating helps a lot! I won't go into the process, there's tons of videos online, but it is a LOT of work on the prep side of things.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Please enjoy some gratuitous before and after shots of the hardware:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

And some more...

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

With the plating mostly completed (took me about a week) we could turn our attention to the crusty swingarm. Needless to say, the bearings were TOAST and in need of replacement.

With the bearings removed, we can clean and blast the parts:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Took care to clean the stator. Actually ended up soda blasting it to ensure I didn't damage anything. My rewound lighting coil is still going strong!

With the swingarm cleaned, I decided to dress up some of the various dings and dents received over the years.

The KLX forks were given fresh oil and sold to a KDXRIDER.net member.

Picked up a set of '95 KX125 forks and triples for next to nothing locally. They were pooched:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

After dressing the swingarm, it was sand blasted and given a fresh coat of paint:

The frame hardware and pegs were reinstalled:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The stock rims were dented, chipped, broken, and had loose spokes. They were stripped down, and thrown away. With the hubs stripped down, along with the rear shock, etc. I could get to work cleaning and blasting everything.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The KX forks were toast. Stripped down, and cleaned everything impeccibly!

I'm happy with the valving in the rear shock. Stripped it right down and replaced the seal head and dust seal. Reassembled with some fresh 5W oil, and charged to 145psi with nitrogen.

Swingarm rebuilt with it's new hardware.

The KDX steering stem needed to be knurled to accept the KX lower clamp:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

With the swingarm and shock complete, they were reinstalled onto the frame. (Ignore my makeshift parts table of milk crates and plywood.) Also picked up a clapped out '06 KX250F in the background for next to nothing!

I pressed the KDX stem into the lower KX triple, and designed the proper spacer for the top clamp which I'd turn down on the lathe.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

With the cases split, everything was cleaned and inspected for new seals and bearings. The plastic KIPS governor gear was completely melted and destroyed from one time where I destroyed my clutch and overheated the bike on a tight hill climb. It's discontinued from Kawasaki, so I sourced a good used one after inspecting it here.

Its the "little details"

Cylinder cleaned, honed, powervalve rebuilt:

The crank checked out great, the last time I rebuilt it I redid the crank as well, so the rod wasn't that used. The reassembly begins!

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Got me a ProX clutch basket to replace the super notched stock one. Inner hub was fine. Need to remove the rivets off the stock plate, and install the ring gear onto the ProX basket with the new supplied cushions.

The water pump impeller shaft was polished to a mirror finish, and a new OEM seal kit was installed.

With the water pump finished, and the new clutch assembly installed, along with all the right side case stuff, the right engine cover can be installed.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Stator assembly installed:

Turned a quick spacer on the lathe, with that done the top clamp could be installed and the freshly rebuilt and revalved KX forks bolted up.

I didn't take any pics of the process, but once the hubs were prepped with new bearings and seals, I laced up some TUSK Impact wheels to the stock hubs using a WARP 9 spoke kit.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

With the ring gaps set, and the cylinder finished, it was time to bolt it all together.

Piston was lubed up, new gaskets installed, and on went the jug:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Once the head was on, and the KIPS linkage arm connected, we ended up with a complete, smoothly rotating, super clean, ultra fresh engine.

Behold:

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Alright lets get that sumbitch back into the frame!

Went with some GPI rads to replace my bent stock ones. They fit just OK. Had to modify the brackets somewhat, and I made sure to rinse them out thuroughly before install. There was schmutz inside both of them. I was expecting to have to mod them to fit, so not a big deal.

New Maier rear fender, front fender is off a later KX250, but still fits with the look of the bike. The 2014 and up ones I see people use look stupid IMO.

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Airbox installed, also routed all wires and hoses according to the diagrams in the factory service manual. Just like stock with the exception of the rear tail light which I removed the wiring for since I don't run one.

Bars and controls fitted, anything worn was replaced, I think I used all new cables. Everything lubed and adjusted for smooth operation. new Headlight installed (once again with my H7 headlight bulb conversion, see here: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12111

'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The desert pipe was bent, dented, and dull. Straightened it out, removed all the carbon, popped some dents, and installed it using new springs and a silicone coupler from a YZ250. Went back to the TC2 from the PC2, fresh packing and it was all mounted up. I hit it with some scotchbrite for that "brushed" look.

New hourmeter installed

'00 KDX 220R