Pulling my hair out

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Pulling my hair out

Post by SS109 »

Kevin2502000 wrote: 07:58 pm Apr 29 2021 SS109 what part of AZ are you? I'm heading to Tucson in a week or so.
I'm in Tucson just East of DMAFB. You bringing your bike?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Kevin2502000

Post by Kevin2502000 »

No, just a warmup tourist heading to Pima Air and Space Museum and other tourist things. Any recommendations that only the locals know?
Kevin2502000

Post by Kevin2502000 »

Test rode it and back to 100%. I already ordered new reed valves so I will put them in when they arrive. I have a tiny tear on the carb holder to reed block that probably seals itself when tightened. Would Yamabond lightly smeared be good insurance?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Kevin2502000 wrote: 07:55 pm Apr 29 2021 Did that SS109. Still in perfect condition. BUT.....I feel pretty good I may have figured it out. I pulled out the reeds today to exchange with the old. While carefully putting it back together I noticed the reed block does have a right side up. If you put it in upside-down the angle doesn't line up with the carb throat effectively blocking half the fuel. I didn't pay attention when I took it off which way it was but feeling hopeful that's what it was. I will test ride tomorrow. Keeping fingers 🤞
That would explain the loss of power at WOT, not pulling enough fuel-air to burn at the higher rate. Glad you got it squared away. If it's a small tear you can check it by spraying some carb sleaner or starter fluid around it while the bike is running, you'll know immediately if its leaking. Some Yamabond on the outside wouldn't hurt.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Kevin2502000 wrote: 01:36 pm Apr 30 2021 No, just a warmup tourist heading to Pima Air and Space Museum and other tourist things. Any recommendations that only the locals know?
I live only a couple miles from the museum. Make sure to take the tour through the boneyard if they are still offering it.

If you love the outdoors then Sabino Canyon is a great place to go. You also have Picacho Peak where the only civil war battle in AZ was fought. Kitt Peak has the national astronomy observatory. Even if not for the the astronomy the drive up Kitt Peak is a trip and it's beautiful up there. Just bring yourself a hydration pack for any place outdoors as out of towners don't realize how quickly they dehydrate here and get themselves in to trouble fairly regularly. Carrying a bottle or two doesn't cut it here. We had lots of night life but covid has jacked that up. Tombstone isn't too far away and is always worth a visit due to the history, reenactments, and shops.

Glad you got the bike sorted. Shame you're not bringing it as I know lots of awesome riding areas fairly close by.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Kevin2502000

Post by Kevin2502000 »

The boneyard tour is suspended indefinitely😥 due to covid. I was in Tucson 3 years ago and loved it. Definitely going to Tombstone again and will look into Sabino. Thanks for the tips!