Top end power

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
cbittner72

Top end power

Post by cbittner72 »

I’ve got a 96 200 with stock muffler and FMF woods pipe. I’ve put 240 miles now on this new to me bike. Went all through jetting and it’s running really nice. It has tons of low-mid power, almost can’t stall it, wheelies no problem. But, when I hear the main power valve open it’s mostly just noise, there doesn’t seem any power increase. So my question is if this is the characteristic of that woods pipe and I should consider the desert pipe, or to consider looking at a top end, power valve cleaning? The prior owner had rebuilt both with a total of 440 miles now.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Top end power

Post by doakley »

Clean the power valve thoroughly then try it again. You have the correct pipe for a 200. If that doesn’t work come back here. For that matter, come back here anyway! 😁
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check the power valve.

Some run the Desert pipe.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cbittner72

Post by cbittner72 »

Thanks! On the to do list now. Will revert eventually
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Do you know how to check the power valve without taking it apart? If not search on youtube for KDX power valve test. Theres a short (maybe 2 minutes) video showing one in working order.
cbittner72

Post by cbittner72 »

I finally got around to removing the small round cover to check pv. It’s working and I think I was just feeling the end of 2nd gear and needed to shift... when the pv valve opens in third I can feel much more pull. Eventually I’ll clean the valves, probably when I hit 100 hrs. Thanks
cbittner72

Post by cbittner72 »

Following up for others. I finally did a top end on this bike and when I disassembled the kips, I found the washers 11009-1344 that are supposed to be on the spring-ball bearing assembly bolt were inside on the main kips rod instead of on the bolt. This made the kips response sluggish because the ball was forced into the gear 16085-1274, and I could see a score on the kips gear surface. The kips is working much better now and opening quickly.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

More "previous owner" magic! Congratulations on getting it sorted.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128