How are we set nowadays on new parts and plastics

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
bikeman2502001

How are we set nowadays on new parts and plastics

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Just wondering what our situation is these days on getting new parts and plastic kits is it time to start hording some parts? I dont mind saying this is the best woods bike ive owned in 40 years once its all set up. I have bo reason to want anything else and im not ashamed at all to ride it with my ktm buddies actually theyve grown to respect this bike. I want to ride this bike for many years to come. It will be a sad day when i have to park it for good
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: How are we set nowadays on new parts and plastics

Post by KDXGarage »

A few things have gone away for 1995+, but almost all are still around. Some parts are very hard to find if there are not many left.

I have a part or two hid back (or more :mrgreen: ) , so I can not ever say anything about hoarding parts.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Hahaha. He said hoardng. I'm thinking I am about to begin an entirely new hoarding run. A recent example of exactly why hoarding pays off is a brand new in the plastic Kawasaki clutch cable that I did not even remember that I had.
My addition to this thread is to hoard utilizing organization so that you know what you have thus having the ability to go straight to the part you need. I was bumming until I just did a small search in the building. Kawasaki United States or whatever it is actually ceased shipping for a bit earlier this year and aftermarket was behind as well.
Long story short- heck yeah you need to hoard and excell at it while you do.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Well what im getting here is good news and bad i guess but it is far better to be proactive these days. If i had known the level that you can bring these bikes up I would have been riding the decades ago. A hording we will go a hording we will go hi ho aderio a hording we will go
Lol have a great day and thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

My man treelimb chiming in.

I am also a fan of buying parts bikes.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I had an entire stock front end, forks, wheel, controls, lights, brakes, everything.....GIVEN to me. Guy just wanted it out of his shop. Having some of those parts has already paid for the gas to go pick them up.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Wow you should go buy a lottery ticket man your on a winning streak there. I know there are more parts out there ill just have my friends on the look out for me. It really a shame that Kawasaki stopped production on these things
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

bikeman2502001 wrote: 02:27 pm Nov 14 2020 It really a shame that Kawasaki stopped production on these things
Don't get me started! Out of curiosity I decided to see if there is an active 2s market. One way to determine this is to get an estimate of how many people are racing 2s bikes in enduros, what the KDX was designed for. No real way to get this info since I don't have a list of what entries are riding. I needed a way to estimate this. So, I got the idea of taking a representative, hopefully random, sampling. I did this by looking at all of the photos posted by one of the professional photographers for one of the NEPG National enduros, the Gobbler Getter, in AL held earlier this month. I tallied how many photos were of people racing 2s vs 4s assuming the photographer had no bias and just shot photos as people rode past his spot on the trail. I looked at 93 photos.
RESULTS? ( Drum roll please.........)
55% rode 2s
45% rode 4s
Yes! There is a valid 2s market out there, at least for enduro bikes! Come on, Kawi. Get it together!
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Way to go man and i agree off road there is a good 2 stroke market as you now have three different color Ktms to chose from now lol
Around here in houston there are alot of two strokes out there i sold all my 4 strokes and im not going back. Go green!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

My official statement on the possibility of hoarding too many parts. (Sorry if you don't get it, I am kind of old too). :grin:
monkey looking away.png
monkey looking away.png (609.94 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Haha! No pain no gain! Companies only react to their market. If we are silent, the monkey wins!
Twinsig

Post by Twinsig »

Some parts have gone away?
Such as: ?
We talking about plastics or cylinders & power train?
Just curious, at the rate I'm going mine will last for another 50 years!
2003 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look on Partzilla at the diagrams. A few are NLA. Not a ton, thankfully
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

New example of the beauty of hoarding.

My tripmeter ( YES I do still use an original KDX cable operated tripmeter although I'm not sure if it is my original tripmeter and YES it messes me up when it once in 14 or 15 years ceases to work ) quit functioning the weekend before October 25 race. I had to race without it and initially it ate at me but I persevered and finished but all that is a side note .

Back to the example. I had pulled the front wheel off and taken the drive head of tripmeter off and put it all back together 9 or 10 times in-between cleaning, finessing, attempts of futility, and etc. hoping that it would work when assembled as it worked when I spun the wheel as observed from the stand.
No it did not work. I had to race anyway 😂.

Monday after race,. I went to my tote with that type of hoard material in it and found trip meter cables, trip meters, mounts, good looking handlebars, and etc as well as a couple of the fitted ends that attach to the hub. Low and behold, there was a plastic insert that actually fits between hub and tripster piece that looked to be in usable condition. It was and it did so I now have a working tripper and it was free at this time.

So the moral is to hoard, hoard, and locate and hoard some more.

The end.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wise words. I am glad you got it going.