2002 KDX200 "Project"

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
criggs9901
Supporting Member

2002 KDX200 "Project"

Post by criggs9901 »

Hey guys, I recently picked up a really clean '02 200 and just wanted to share. I really fell in love with the KDX model after riding my old '90 E series only a few times. After lots of lurking and oogling I decided I really, really liked the H series, and that I had to have one some day. A few weeks ago I spotted this one on FB market for $2700, which was quite a bit more than I could afford, but looked all original so I had to go take a look. When I got there, there was obvious front end damage: the headlight/front plate assembly was held on by zip-ties, the bars were bent backwards pretty badly, and the graphics on the left rad shroud were all scratched. All cosmetic though, so no biggie. It started right up, but would only run correctly with the choke on. Choke off it would idle, but just barely, and it had a bad bog off bottom. If I could baby it past the bog, however, it pulled super strong. He told me it hadn't had carb work in years, so I figured a good cleaning would take care of it. Otherwise everything looked great. All the plastics and graphics were original. It still had a working odometer. Still had the kickstand. Even had the toolbag still bolted to the rear fender. The only aftermarket addons were a full FMF exhaust, gripper seat cover, and Fly aluminum bars. Was able to talk him down to $2200, and brought it home. A good carb clean and a little elbow grease later, and it ran perfect with nice, straight handle bars.

I've already been working on fixing some of the minor damage it has, as well as adding a few small upgrades to make it a little more trail friendly. I plan to keep this one original for the most part, as I really like the look and feel of the H series. While I was browsing for bikes, though, I came across some parts that caught my eye. When I realized they were still available after I brought this bike home, I went and picked those up as well. Thinking I might go with a bit of a retro look with this one...

What do you guys think, should I go all '96 with it? I'm thinking I might :mrgreen:
1990 Kawasaki KDX200
2001 Suzuki RM250
1999 Suzuki RM125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2002 KDX200 "Project"

Post by KDXGarage »

Maaaan! NICE! Congratulations on the new(er) KDX. It looks great, so you won't have nearly as much wrench turning and parts buying for this one.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goatfish

Post by Goatfish »

Ohhhhh its going to look soooo sick with those on.
Where I am, a bike that clean would fetch 4-5k.
How is the health of the rear shock?
criggs9901
Supporting Member

Post by criggs9901 »

Haha thanks, definitely not as much work needed on this bike as there was on my last one. I think one of the forks is weeping a bit, but the shock looks good. A little dirty, but definitely not blown or worn out. I'm 180 and it feels fine with me on it so far, haha. I already got to work fixing the front headlight. Tried an actual plastic welding kit this time, looks super ugly but it seems solid. Only time will tell, I suppose:

I also got a front fender to replace the beat up black one it came with. Once I find some matching purple fork boots and a seat cover I'm going to swap the tank and shrouds, I can't wait. It's the newest dirt bike I own, but it will have the most retro look by far.
1990 Kawasaki KDX200
2001 Suzuki RM250
1999 Suzuki RM125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job. Another member has a plastic welding thread right now that you might want to check.

I am one of several fans of the purple look on here. It fell out of favor for a while, but has made a comeback.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Stealthrider

Post by Stealthrider »

Hey man, I am bringing back to life in 03 and it had a purple tank on it and a spare purple tank. I would really like to have a black or second choice green tank. Would you be willing to sell your green tank? Thanks
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Nice looking bike! I heard that 2002 was the last year of build to ride 2 strokes in OHV areas in California. If that's true, you have something quite special there.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Wow! How pretty. I wished I would have checked my lower shock bearing as first thing, I’m not sure it would have saved the unitrac, but for sure the bearing should have been replaced sooner.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250