KDX 220 Lectron carb

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ysuscuba

KDX 220 Lectron carb

Post by ysuscuba »

I’m trying to tune this carb.

The bike is idling fine but when I try to open it up the bike seems to bog down and doesn’t open up.

First plug is to the right and the second plug is to the left.

I thought it was running lean but looking at these plugs I’m not sure. New to this tuning thing. Any advice would be great. I’ve turned the needle 2 turns to the right.
9B08AD06-A8F9-498E-9BC2-3A26A0A4FF7A.jpeg
9B08AD06-A8F9-498E-9BC2-3A26A0A4FF7A.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 3116 times
bikeman2502001

Re: KDX 220 Lectron carb

Post by bikeman2502001 »

typically yes when a bike bogs its because it is lean and needs more fuel but when i look at those plugs it looks like another problem might be learking inside the engine maybe leaking crank seals? Doesnt look like 2 stroke oil burning there. What oil are you using and at what ratio are you using. Those are great carbs but they do require careful set up do you have all of the manuals that came with it? They are way better but they are still not all the way there yet Cody Webb is working with the manufacturers of both the Smart and Lectron to get it to where riders of their caliber are satisfied . You have a great Carb there but those plugs are raising a red flag to me did the bike run great before the new carb install?
ysuscuba

Post by ysuscuba »

Yes, the bike was running fine prior to switching the carb. I am running Spector golden and it’s currently 40:1. I was following the instructions provided but it seems that I can’t find the sweet spot so I’m starting to wonder if there’s a another problem with this bike.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Golden spectro has been around for many decades and has a trillion million of die hard users and it is an olde but goodie so that is not the problem But there is something wrong with the plugs in the pictures that are not related to the carb, Im not going to ask what jetting you are using cuz you aint got non.lol I do know initial setup is critical from all the research i have done on this carb as i may purchase one my self. Did your plugs look like these pictures before the carb? What is your cranking psi with a compression test? I do think a complete top end check is in order starting with the easiest first Reeds By the way what plug are you using? Kips valves, partially clogged silencer,working into crank seals,popping the head off and checking the cylinder for wear,piston wear rings so forth a cracked or chipped reed will cause rich running conditions or not run at all, You should only achieve the perfect coffee and creme plugs on extended high rpm use usually general riding will be slightly darker and that is normal, There is alot of knowledgeable people here and with all our heads together we will get you through this the patient always survives! the give away here is you say it seems to be running lean but the plug is saying something that its way to rich thats what is indicating the problem is else where. so first things first what plug are you using? check the reeds for proper closing chips or cracks I hear you saying the bike ran good before the carb what did the plugs look like then. It is surprising how well these bikes will with completely worn out top ends. 15 years ago my buddy had one that had 0 resistance when kicking it over or by hand by that matter and it ran good go figure
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

You mentioned "I’ve turned the needle 2 turns to the right." I'm sure that you're doing this correctly, but just want to verify. You did 1/4 turns of the fuel metering rod, and then made sure the flat side of the rod was facing the motor after you were done? I had to adjust mine a couple of times to get rid of the low-end bog, and after that it's ran fine ever since. BTW - I'm running the same oil and ratio as you are.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
ysuscuba

Post by ysuscuba »

GATOROC wrote: 12:15 pm Aug 25 2020 You mentioned "I’ve turned the needle 2 turns to the right." I'm sure that you're doing this correctly, but just want to verify. You did 1/4 turns of the fuel metering rod, and then made sure the flat side of the rod was facing the motor after you were done? I had to adjust mine a couple of times to get rid of the low-end bog, and after that it's ran fine ever since. BTW - I'm running the same oil and ratio as you are.
Yes, correct. I turned the fuel metering rod 1/4 turns and made sure the flat side was facing the motor once I completed the turns. Cool. I will keep trying it and hopefully I will figure out the low end bog. I believe my fuel meter rod came from the factory at 3-2M. Do you know the start of your needle length? Curious.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Metering rod: 3-2m and starting point 1.991". I told them about the head mod, FMF pipe, Boyesen 607 reeds, 40:1 ratio, etc., along with my typical riding altitude of 6k-12k feet here in Colorado.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
NORTELPILOT

Post by NORTELPILOT »

Mine is came set at 3-2 and starting point of 2.036 but since then I have had the and head and port redone form Fredette racing and added a Gnarly woods pipe.
Almost a low end bog right now seems to be..I may try a half turn richer to see what I get.
Running 50.1 ..currently around 1200 ft elevation
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mnolan660r »

I just recently installed one on my 97' kdx200, came with the 3-2m, unsure of the initial starting point, and I had to go in 3/4 turn to get rid of the low end bog. FMF gnarly pipe, same pre-mix oil, @ 50:1, running between 1k to 6k elevation. My plug didn't look like that. I'll see if I can find the build sheet and see what the initial start point was.
NORTELPILOT

Post by NORTELPILOT »

I may give that a try then,Lectron says each 1/4 turn equals .006 " so I may try one full turn then I can see if I need to go back down or up.
That should out me at 2.012 if my math is correct so 2 full turns would get me at 1.998 I think?
I will do one full turn and test it.
ysuscuba

Post by ysuscuba »

bikeman2502001 wrote: 08:16 am Aug 23 2020 Golden spectro has been around for many decades and has a trillion million of die hard users and it is an olde but goodie so that is not the problem But there is something wrong with the plugs in the pictures that are not related to the carb, Im not going to ask what jetting you are using cuz you aint got non.lol I do know initial setup is critical from all the research i have done on this carb as i may purchase one my self. Did your plugs look like these pictures before the carb? What is your cranking psi with a compression test? I do think a complete top end check is in order starting with the easiest first Reeds By the way what plug are you using? Kips valves, partially clogged silencer,working into crank seals,popping the head off and checking the cylinder for wear,piston wear rings so forth a cracked or chipped reed will cause rich running conditions or not run at all, You should only achieve the perfect coffee and creme plugs on extended high rpm use usually general riding will be slightly darker and that is normal, There is alot of knowledgeable people here and with all our heads together we will get you through this the patient always survives! the give away here is you say it seems to be running lean but the plug is saying something that its way to rich thats what is indicating the problem is else where. so first things first what plug are you using? check the reeds for proper closing chips or cracks I hear you saying the bike ran good before the carb what did the plugs look like then. It is surprising how well these bikes will with completely worn out top ends. 15 years ago my buddy had one that had 0 resistance when kicking it over or by hand by that matter and it ran good go figure
Ok, so I decide to open up the top end and started going through the bike. The Reeds looked good but ended up buying new and adding V-Force Reed Valve so we are good on the reeds, opened up the top end and everything looked pretty new but the Kips system was covered in junk. Cylinder looked good and was within all the specs in the manual. Going to get it all back together and start fresh with my Lectron. I'm hoping the cleaned Kips system and a re-adjustment might be the key. I did notice the seal from the carb to the airbox wasn't good so purchased a new larger clamp.
Attachments
IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1652.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
IMG_1661(1).jpg
IMG_1661(1).jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
IMG_1650.jpg
IMG_1650.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
IMG_1660(1).jpg
IMG_1660(1).jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
IMG_1649.jpg
IMG_1649.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 2802 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep, the check engine light was on for KIPS. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ysuscuba

Post by ysuscuba »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:41 am Sep 10 2020 Yep, the check engine light was on for KIPS. :-)
lol!