KDX Electric Start Kit

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: KDX Electric Start Kit

Post by Slick_Nick »

doakley wrote: 03:56 pm Oct 11 2021 I'm damned impressed! Went to the website to order but it says "Ad Paused" (translated). If I could figure out how to order one I would tonight!
It's ugly, but it apparently works and is the missing link to make the KDX complete. If anyone figures out how to order, please let me know.
Just my two cents here, but I never found the KDX to be "missing" electric start, especially once converted to a KX125 kicker. Sure, it's a nice to have, but even on those off camber uphills where you're stalled out, the KDX always springs to life with one kick.

It is a pretty cool novelty though, wonder how much weight it adds to an already hefty machine?
'00 KDX 220R
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Looking foward to seeing a review on the newly acquired accessory for the KDX. There are other reasons to want/need an electric starter on a motorcycle. The KDX is very easy to start, however, if a person had a bad knee or foot and did not want to quit riding it would be a good addition. I did not want to quit and waited for a while to see if anyone stateside would get the electric start for the KDX. I ended up buying a new KLX 300R. It is not a KDX, but is close, has electric start, EFI, and is still green. Just my two cents worth.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

BTW, did they recommend running the stator wet (oil bath) with this setup? Reason I ask is because that is a sprag type setup that needs to be lubed or it will wear out prematurely.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

I couldn’t really understand the instructions but my guess is not wet as the way it goes together it’s already assembled on that end
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, interesting but I think what you have observed makes sense. I wonder why they did it that way?

Anyway, I've been studying this setup and I'm pretty sure I figured out how it was accomplished and where the parts were sourced from. I'll be building my own version of it hopefully soon. When I do, and if it works correctly, I'll share the info with the forum.
'11 GasGas EC250R
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

guychriqui wrote: 11:40 pm Oct 06 2021
TwistedRoot wrote: 12:38 pm Oct 05 2021
guychriqui wrote: 01:22 pm Sep 17 2021 i ordered a kit - should be here in a few weeks and i’ll take pics and document how it gets installed
Cant wait to get a report. What was the total cost?
it was about $500 all in - should arrive this weekend will take pics
I was just wondering if this kit was from the same developer as in TwistedRoots original post, is this what he ended up with?

I met a guy on the weekend with a YZ250 at our local riding spot with a set up from PantheraMotorsports and was a very nice looking kit,although pricey.. https://pantheramotorsports.com/
02 KDX220
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

guychriqui, How is the electric start kit going on your KDX? I would like to hear a review or hear some audio. Maybe some pictures. Very interesting
. Thanks!!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

oldmankdx69 wrote: 05:28 pm Oct 26 2021 guychriqui, How is the electric start kit going on your KDX? I would like to hear a review or hear some audio. Maybe some pictures. Very interesting
. Thanks!!
He posted a link to pics and some short vids at the bottom of his post...
guychriqui wrote: 11:50 am Oct 10 2021 Okay so I received the kit and installed it - works great! Ordering it was definitely complicated - I had to go through a proxy to order from Mercado Livre - https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB ... 0-9505-_JM - it took about 6 weeks from ordering through the proxy for it to show up at my door. The instructions given were poorly translated and I ended up just figuring it out with a buddy as we went. There are a few videos like - that show the installation process but again not in english.

As for the kit - it definitely is made by a home gamer- the castings are pretty terrible and I'm going to 3d print a better battery box because this one is poorly fabricated with lots of voids.

Installation wasn't too bad - remove the cover, screw on the metal piece with the one way bearing, shove the frame with the motor + sprocket onto that and give it the beans until it's all aligned. All the metal pieces here could have been made better - but can't really complain because it does work. The chain guard piece just did not work at all. I will have to figure something out there - maybe 3d print using a markforged carbon fiber material to replace it.

The only concern I have is the shift lever - you have to bend it out a bit and I think it'll be a ride or two before I'm comfortable with the new position. I might try and replace it with something custom but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it first.

As for wiring it - really easy. Took a bit to figure out where to shove all the new components but they fit in space in front of the airbox after playing a little bit of tetris. The kit had everything already figured out but I am going to try find a new starter button that's not red so it's obvious which is kill and which is e-start.

Last but not least - kickstart still works just fine. Happy to have the push button start for ease of use but kick start backup is fantastic as well. All in all totally worth the adventure just to try something new.

Full album + vids are here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3DchjhmmeroKAAa9 - but placed a few pics on the post as attachments as well.
'11 GasGas EC250R
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Sorry. Guess I missed that info. My excuse is OMS[old man syndrome]. It happens a lot at my age. HA HA!!! The starter system doesn't look too bad. I would definitly look at it if I still had my KDX.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

oldmankdx69 wrote: 01:44 pm Oct 27 2021 Sorry. Guess I missed that info. My excuse is OMS[old man syndrome]. It happens a lot at my age. HA HA!!! The starter system doesn't look too bad. I would definitly look at it if I still had my KDX.
Ha! No worries. I suffer from OMS myself at times! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

oldmankdx69 wrote: 01:44 pm Oct 27 2021 Sorry. Guess I missed that info. My excuse is OMS[old man syndrome]. It happens a lot at my age. HA HA!!! The starter system doesn't look too bad. I would definitly look at it if I still had my KDX.
For what it's worth - kit still seems happy. Totally worth it to me
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

guychriqui, I am curious if the chain drive casing interferes with off road riding. Does your shin hit it? Is there adequate room to wear motocross boot? Will it survive a hard fall to the ground? Thank you in advance. billie
testmaster

Post by testmaster »

Hey ss109 did you even figure out how to make your own version?

by SS109 » 09:45 pm Oct 13 2021

Hmm, interesting but I think what you have observed makes sense. I wonder why they did it that way?

Anyway, I've been studying this setup and I'm pretty sure I figured out how it was accomplished and where the parts were sourced from. I'll be building my own version of it hopefully soon. When I do, and if it works correctly, I'll share the info with the forum.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

testmaster wrote: 06:44 am Mar 25 2022 Hey ss109 did you even figure out how to make your own version?

by SS109 » 09:45 pm Oct 13 2021

I'm currently working on it, however, I haven't dedicated a whole lot of time to it yet as I'm finishing up my adjustable CDI testing. I have all the parts but have to spec out dimensions and build some assemblies before I can start testing it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
testmaster

Post by testmaster »

Is there any chance you could post about the parts you think the Brazilian uses?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Not yet. I want to make sure I don't lead anyone down a rabbit hole. Hopefully will be able to confirm within 2-4 weeks if everything goes smoothly. Sadly, my paying gigs take precedence right now and it's that time of year where things are starting to get busy for me so we'll see.
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Anybody have an update of how the heck to order this kit from Brazil? I can't seem to figure out how to order it online.
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

doakley wrote: 03:21 pm Jul 26 2022 Anybody have an update of how the heck to order this kit from Brazil? I can't seem to figure out how to order it online.
I don’t think it’s available anymore, at least not through the link I found previously. Also just an update for anyone curious - the kit still works great and since I paired it with a carb from xtng this feels like a brand new bike.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Guychriqui, could you txt me, please? 910-four seven one-77one oh. Where are you located? I have some specific questions about the e-start kit you bought and don't have any way to reach you.
Thanks,
doakley
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

doakley wrote: 05:35 pm Jul 29 2022 Guychriqui, could you txt me, please? 910-four seven one-77one oh. Where are you located? I have some specific questions about the e-start kit you bought and don't have any way to reach you.
Thanks,
doakley
No offense but I don't want to text a stranger! I'm located in the bay area,CA - ask any questions you want. I took photos of all the pieces and there's a link to the kit that I used in my previous post.