KDX Electric Start Kit

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX Electric Start Kit

Post by Tyl3r »

Yea, same here. I'm going to get a kit if I can get my hands on one and see how it all works. I believe there is a freewheel so the chain and starter motor aren't in motion all the time. Agreed on flywheel cover difficulty. Wondering if one can be fabricated out of aluminum, or maybe 3-D printed in a quality material. Still waiting to get more info...
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

oldmankdx69 wrote: 07:40 am Jan 30 2021 Bit the bullet and bought a 2021 KLX 300R. Just happen to be visiting my local Kawasaki dealer and he had one on the showroom floor. Made the mistake of sitting on it. Didn't really want to, but with my right leg issues, I needed to do something. It is heavier than my KDX, but it has electric start, EFI, but it is green and it is new. It will be a few weeks before I can ride it, but it gives me time to fix it the way I want. Still have my KDX, so I will keep learking around you guys. Keep on BRAPPING!!!
Awesome! Congrats and like SS109 said, please post up a review and some pics! I do believe a 3D printed cover is possible however don't expect it to be super durable. Good luck with it!
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, I think I can make everything work, I sat down and figured out all the major details and estimated the costs to complete them all...and yea, going to be a nevermind on my part. In the end it will be too much money for something I won't be 100% confident in. Dang...that starter button is soo temping though!!! At this point, i think the EFM autoclutch so it never stalls seems to make the most sense as a trade off for the push-button.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Tyl3r, sorry to see that the starter would be that hard to make work. Was really looking forward to seeing an electric starter on a KDX. Not so much for myself, but to maybe improve the KDX overall worthiness. I got to put a few hours on my new KLX 300. The thing pulls like a tractor. Going to have to get used to a 4-stroke again. Letting off the throttle the first time almost threw me over the bars. It does need some suspension tuning, but I can handle that. It is heavier, but the positives overcome this to me. I really think I am going to enjoy the mc. I will try to keep everyone updated on this when I get to ride more. Waiting for our 12 inches of snow to melt. Being a fair weather rider, I can't wait. LOL :grin: :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the update. I am glad you are liking it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

Was anyone able to get a kit from brazil?
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

i ordered a kit - should be here in a few weeks and i’ll take pics and document how it gets installed
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for doing so!
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

guychriqui wrote: 01:22 pm Sep 17 2021 i ordered a kit - should be here in a few weeks and i’ll take pics and document how it gets installed
Cant wait to get a report. What was the total cost?
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The only thing I didn't really like about that otherwise high quality looking kit was the outer cover. It looks like it's been epoxied together or something? Maybe that was just a prototype in the video? Please post up some pics when you get the kit!
'00 KDX 220R
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

TwistedRoot wrote: 12:38 pm Oct 05 2021
guychriqui wrote: 01:22 pm Sep 17 2021 i ordered a kit - should be here in a few weeks and i’ll take pics and document how it gets installed
Cant wait to get a report. What was the total cost?
it was about $500 all in - should arrive this weekend will take pics
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

Okay so I received the kit and installed it - works great! Ordering it was definitely complicated - I had to go through a proxy to order from Mercado Livre - https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB ... 0-9505-_JM - it took about 6 weeks from ordering through the proxy for it to show up at my door. The instructions given were poorly translated and I ended up just figuring it out with a buddy as we went. There are a few videos like - that show the installation process but again not in english.

As for the kit - it definitely is made by a home gamer- the castings are pretty terrible and I'm going to 3d print a better battery box because this one is poorly fabricated with lots of voids.

Installation wasn't too bad - remove the cover, screw on the metal piece with the one way bearing, shove the frame with the motor + sprocket onto that and give it the beans until it's all aligned. All the metal pieces here could have been made better - but can't really complain because it does work. The chain guard piece just did not work at all. I will have to figure something out there - maybe 3d print using a markforged carbon fiber material to replace it.

The only concern I have is the shift lever - you have to bend it out a bit and I think it'll be a ride or two before I'm comfortable with the new position. I might try and replace it with something custom but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it first.

As for wiring it - really easy. Took a bit to figure out where to shove all the new components but they fit in space in front of the airbox after playing a little bit of tetris. The kit had everything already figured out but I am going to try find a new starter button that's not red so it's obvious which is kill and which is e-start.

Last but not least - kickstart still works just fine. Happy to have the push button start for ease of use but kick start backup is fantastic as well. All in all totally worth the adventure just to try something new.

Full album + vids are here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3DchjhmmeroKAAa9 - but placed a few pics on the post as attachments as well.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I'm impressed! Really!

I hope this continues to develop and more is posted.

I'm also interested in other details; battery size and location, wiring and switch details, etc.
Last edited by pumpguy on 02:55 pm Oct 10 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Thanks for your honest review!
'00 KDX 220R
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

pumpguy wrote: 01:07 pm Oct 10 2021 I'm impressed! Really!

I hope this continues to develop and more is posted.

I'm also interested in other details; battery size and location, wiring and switch details, etc.
Not sure if you can see the album but pics of all the wiring in there
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

:supz: Awesome! Yeah, definitely looks home made but I absolutely admire the ingenuity.

Curious, did he give you a list for replacement parts if needed and what, or where, they can be sourced from?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for letting us know how it all turned out!
guychriqui

Post by guychriqui »

SS109 wrote: 07:48 pm Oct 10 2021 :supz: Awesome! Yeah, definitely looks home made but I absolutely admire the ingenuity.

Curious, did he give you a list for replacement parts if needed and what, or where, they can be sourced from?
I have no idea regarding replacement parts - I never spoke to the seller directly.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

guychriqui wrote: 07:42 am Oct 11 2021
SS109 wrote: 07:48 pm Oct 10 2021 :supz: Awesome! Yeah, definitely looks home made but I absolutely admire the ingenuity.

I have no idea regarding replacement parts - I never spoke to the seller directly.
Man, that would concern me. If you can't easily get a replacement starter, chain, chain gears, or sprag, it could become an expensive paperweight.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I'm damned impressed! Went to the website to order but it says "Ad Paused" (translated). If I could figure out how to order one I would tonight!
It's ugly, but it apparently works and is the missing link to make the KDX complete. If anyone figures out how to order, please let me know.