KDX Electric Start Kit

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX Electric Start Kit

Post by billie_morini »

SS109, I've been looking & cannot find more info and/or better photos. If/when I find more, then I'll share.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I appreciate it, thanks!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

SS109: see Private message from me. I included KDXGarage, too. Minor correction to PM content. City is Bekasi, Indonesia. In the PM, I failed to type the final letter ("i").
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Got it! Thanks for finding and sharing that info.
'11 GasGas EC250R
NoBs

Post by NoBs »

Still hanging in there.... Now on pension and getting grey. LOL
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I've had to back burner my e-start project temporarily as all my efforts have been going in to getting my GasGas up and running again. However, I plan to a fully operational unit before summer. One big issue is I've been looking for someone to cast the aluminum main housing for my e-start setup. Sadly, looks like I might have to learn to do it myself.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

have you looked into a prototype casting shop, like this: https://www.cpm-industries.com/prototyp ... m-castings ? Not cheap, but I'm sure they can make what you need. If they made you one, you could use that to make more sand castings if you were to invest in the set-up. But then again, I guess if you were to go that route, you could just have someone 3-D print you own pattern and core for less.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I do have a rapid prototype (3D printing) company locally that is willing to work on small projects with me. I've already done one small part with them for the flywheel adapter and it was only $20 and change for the piece. Blew me away how affordable that was.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

https://pantheramotorsports.com/kdx220- ... -1989-2006

"If you build it, they will come" as the saying goes! So no sense of me continuing with my design, you snooze you loose, all though the design work and conceptualizing is kinda fun! I won't buy one this year, but most likely next summer. Hopefully someone here pulls the trigger on one. Would love actual feedback.
Go Riders!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Kawibunga wrote: 11:39 am Jun 14 2023 https://pantheramotorsports.com/kdx220- ... -1989-2006

"If you build it, they will come" as the saying goes! So no sense of me continuing with my design, you snooze you loose, all though the design work and conceptualizing is kinda fun! I won't buy one this year, but most likely next summer. Hopefully someone here pulls the trigger on one. Would love actual feedback.
Yep, already covered in the link Tyl3r posted below.
Tyl3r wrote: 09:38 pm Jun 14 2023 viewtopic.php?f=77&t=25899
Thanks, Tyl3r!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

Ahhhh, thanks for that! In the KDX general forum hence me missing it. I'd always come to this thread for news about the electric start........ hopefully someone orders one. They look slick. Stil not a huge fan of the fact that you have to seal off your system and add oil. But the seem to work. Looking forward to some feed back on it. I may still play around with an alternative design, but only for my own use. Tough to compete as said in the other thread.....
Go Riders!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, doakley pre-ordered one so hopefully he'll get it before too long and fill us in.

I still plan on doing my own but it won't ever be for sale. However, I'll probably make all the pertinent info available here to KDX rider supporting members when done.
'11 GasGas EC250R
my95kdx200H

Post by my95kdx200H »

ImageHey everyone been following this thread from shadows for some time 😂. Had some difficulties creating an account for some reason, ss109 I tried reaching out on YouTube but to no success. I’m currently working on an KDX200 electric start design. My design, instead of using a one way bearing that requires oil and is constantly moving and adds yet another moving parts to worry about. I decided to go with a bindex instead, my design goes as follows a gear is bolted to flywheel (using the three threaded holes already available the bindex (CCW bindex so engine rotates in correct direction) engages with this gear via the starter motor which will fit nicely in that space under the reed block area and carburettor. Currently I have the CCW bindex, I have access to a cnc plasma cutter which will be able to cut the two gears I need and I’ve made a furnace and gotten a clay graphite crucible for the casing part of the e start system. Since the gear for the wheel has to protrude out beyond the edge of flywheel I’ll used a two part case design the bottom one will be a circle with a rectangle attached the circle part will mount to the existing mounting holes on the engine case using counter bored Allen head bolts and the rectangle part will be were the starter and bindex are attached to. The second case will be way you could call the cover basically a dome with another rectangular portion to cover over the bindex/e starter area. I’ll provide more pictures of technical and cad drawings tomorrow. Currently I’m trying to make a 3d model of the gears so I send it for plasma cutting but computer can’t handle it and when I used the school laptop it worked but I couldn’t get the right diameter gear (something wrong with my math) I’ll update when more progress is made I’m super happy with drain currently the only moving parts added mover when the electric start is used over-wise you have the gear on the flywheel but that’ll just add more flywheel weight which for me, someone who rides enduro is just perfect. BTW I’m based in Wellington, New Zealand (I have a 1995 KDX200H) the photos attached show a rough fusion 360 design it includes a gear between the bindex and flywheel this was before i discovered the CCW bindex the wood a filler part is a mould I created this is the bottom case it’ll be cast in sand out of CC601 aluminium alloy you can see the kind of circle and rectangle shapes I was talking about. Included is also the photo of the cardboard this is a very crude was of showing roughly what the shape of the case Will look when I’m done.
Attachments
8AC90D7B-E531-4352-B914-7C80D3C8F7C7.jpeg
8AC90D7B-E531-4352-B914-7C80D3C8F7C7.jpeg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
F9266908-F884-460C-B349-3F73C89799BD.jpeg
F9266908-F884-460C-B349-3F73C89799BD.jpeg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
my95kdx200H

Post by my95kdx200H »

Here’s the other picture I didn’t wait for them to upload just getting used to using this forum 👍🏻
Attachments
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
IMG_2529.jpeg
IMG_2529.jpeg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
IMG_2530.jpeg
IMG_2530.jpeg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2415.jpeg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Nice! Will your system be something you'll be offering the parts up for someone to do the conversion? Anyway, yes, please keep us posted as I like your setup so far.

Sorry about not getting your email. I have my personal email and youtube email linked to one gmail account but I seem to sometimes have issues getting the wildazzracing email to come through my regular account. I'll have to go check my settings again. ThankS for letting me know!
'11 GasGas EC250R
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

my95, you are clever! It is interesting & fun to learn about what you're doing. Hoping very much you are able to fabricate parts so you can produce your first test system.
my95kdx200H

Post by my95kdx200H »

Thanks for the reply Guys, to answer your question SS109 once I’ve created a working prototype ill measure all the new parts as I assemble it then I’ll run it for about 15 hours or so (if it doesn’t break in that time) then I’ll dis assemble re measure check for excessive wear ect. If it works fine and things aren’t wearing prematurely, then I’ll consider making kits and selling them (don’t want to sell a defective product). They’ll actually be pretty cheap as so far I’ve only spent like 200 NZD on the project and a majority of that went towards creating foundry and buying the crucible for the aluminium casting part. That cost will be spread out over each kit I make. I’m currently rebuilding my 95 KDX200 so once I’ve sorted my issues with creating the gears on fusion 360 the ball should start rolling a bit faster and I’m hoping to finish the prototype e start system by the time the bikes back together (for reference the bike is very close to being done). As for future designs I hope to first create my working prototype once I’ve proven my bindex/gear on flywheel system, then I’ll look at making it smaller, stronger and more precise. But I don’t want to get it up to the cost of the panthera kits, but I also want a system that’ll last, as my main goal for this is to not make the bike less reliable and if that means a total re design if the prototype fails then so be it, I’ve really enjoyed the practical engineering side of this project it’s very very fun so there slot of motivation on my end!
PS I’d estimate a kit to cost 300 NZD (plus shipping) so not too bad and that’s at no cost to me so 0% mark up or me making no money, just enough to cover costs which I’d be happy to do for the first few I make (if everything works out)
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I’m still waiting on the Panthera unit I pre-ordered. They said mid-August. AHem!!
my95kdx200H

Post by my95kdx200H »

Please share photos videos ect when you do revive it! I’m sure theirs will be extreme high quality I Emma for the price.