220 fredette ported cylinder first ride

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
bikeman2502001

220 fredette ported cylinder first ride

Post by bikeman2502001 »

The first work I want to say Is WOOOOOWWWWW. Jeff told me I would have a completely new bike for 180 dollars he is accurate, My KDX is everything it always was but now its wayyyyy mo betta. I hope this will help you guys not to be afraid of this mod as its not at all a top end only port job its better all the way through with a much wider power band. But it does have way more top end pull i never did feel like i over revved it just sang all the way to the moon. And whats funny he didnt go hog wild in there he was very careful not to change anything that would hurt the kdx we all love, I easily would rate this at least as good as the pipe and carb put together as the head usually is included in a port job. Now it is making full use of the 220 cc's that's there which was my biggest complaint it wasnt doing that. It wouldnt be the first thing i change but after the carb,head and pipe, if at that point you truly want more This is way up there for huge bang for the buck. And gives way more power than some other mods costing alot more and give marginal benefits this one is a guarantee. As it turns out my carburetor wasnt the problem the motor just wasnt working to its potential as i was comparing to a 250 not a 125, Now I see the bike Jeff won on its much more serious now which is what I was looking for. Now if you want to go fast you do have to ride it like a 250 stay over the front because now it will carry the front wheel a foot or two off the ground in good traction. Oh yeah just for grins I saw in another post some one had one of these little green things we have had this one well over twenty years it will cut grass a foot tall Hmmm I have pictures of the porting that i took but is says file is too big at 5.5mb not sure whats going on with that
Attachments
SUNP0011 - Copy.JPG
SUNP0011 - Copy.JPG (4.98 MiB) Viewed 2506 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 220 fredette ported cylinder first ride

Post by KDXGarage »

THANK YOU for the report! See the other thread for info on pic size. 5 Mb is the limit. It used to be 2 Mb. (cost of storage space and all)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

which thread are you referring too could the pixels setting be too high
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I saw them in the other thread. Thanks for doing the conversion on them to get them down to size.

Thanks for the report on the ride also.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

After thinking about it for awhile and comparing to all my ktm 250's ive had in the past this now has a wider powerband and more power everywhere than my 01 250exc, 02 250exc and my 96 250exc and RMX 250 i guess a well tuned 220 against a mild 250 is closer than you would think. I have a total of 343 dollars in my engine alot of the top tuners charge close to 400 just for porting alone
Bore and jet carb 93.00
mill head 70.00
porting 180.00
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Thank you for 1st report, bikeman. I'm intrigued to the extent that I may as Fredette to do this to my KDX 220, too. I was about to inquire about carburetor jetting following porting. However, I think I see another thread created by you that includes spark plug photos. So, I'll head on over there.