Fredette port on a 200. Anyone out there?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fredette port on a 200. Anyone out there?

Post by treelimb »

Anyone have a 200 with a Fredette port job? Just curious. I have gots to know the results. I have an extra cylinder due to installing a new Kawasaki cylinder during my rebuild and have pondered porting and plating it. I just simply can not port my new cylinder even though it now has 91 hours on it and one source/one track friend(YES you know of him as well) declares aftermarket plating is stronger than factory plating. That's the type of info that promotes the money pit syndrome which i seem to be afflicted with and adorn well.

The sickness, called owning and racing a KDX, has truly affected me even though the entity repeatedly throws remarks filled with caution toward my household. One step at a time. Carb needles first he says, albeit sublimely as I lurk.

thank you in advance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fredette port on a 200. Anyone out there?

Post by KDXGarage »

Look around on here for a few pics from a semi-recent thread where a member got his '87 (or so) ported.

Yes, you should try that needle. (sayeth the entity)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I would subjectively agree with your friend that aftermarket plating is more durable than the stock electrofusion plating. We have run and raced most brands and the only ones I had to re-plate were two kawi's (a kx65 and my kdx) and one honda 125 which flaked off. I believe that is part of the reason why are no used H model cylinders out there. The other is broken studs. Really, the chrome shop did an excellent job refurbishing my kdx cylinder.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

I dont have a 200 but i just had my 220 ported by Jeff I get it back tomorrow, You should call him directly to get the true scoop and avoid unneeded negativity he is a great guy to talk to and will not fill you full of bull he is very down to earth, Dont forget to get your head modded at the same time as one is really useless with out the other. It is the cheapest huge bang for the buck you can get for the kdx At 180 dollars plus 70 for the head and remember this head mod is for pump gas there is more hp to be had there but will need to go to expensive gas alternatives so you will have to weigh that out for your self. Give Jeff a call @708 nine four six 0999 He is the true king of the kdx no one else can hold his pencil when it comes to the complete knowledge of the KDX Good luck be sure and let us know what he say's ok

EDITED by KDXGarage so spammers don't catch the number so easily.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bikeman2502001 wrote: 12:08 pm Jul 13 2020 ...and avoid unneeded negativity...
Curious what this negativity is that you speak of? :hmm:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

to be honest i havent seen any on this website at all everyone here is very helpful, Just wanted to point out the best answer to his question is from Jeff himself as it doesnt seem like very many at all do this mod for some reason.Jeff doesnt bite he is very helpful and humble. All is good!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Cool. Yeah, most don't go as far as porting their engine. I've built many bikes and, other than the 265cc big bores, never felt the need for more than gasket matching and removing casting flash and such. However, I know nice power gains can be had from doing so. Maybe I'll have to try that sometime on the 220. Hmm... :hmm:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
NORTELPILOT

Post by NORTELPILOT »

I just got mine back from Fredette a few weeks ago
Had the head and cylinder mods done
2002 Gnarly Woods Pipe
FMF Turbine core
Race Tech fork springs,Wiseco piston,new waterpump kit
I was getting a lot of smoodge and detonation in 1-3 gears but 4-6 will scream
Ordered the recommended needle jet from Fredettes website that was recommended.
Still having the same issue..running stock 160 main and 48 pilot
I have ordered the JD jet kit and am going to try that..I like the sound of the Lectron or Smart carb but they are pricey
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

You might want to double check with Jeff on your pipe selection as after porting you might need the Gnarly desert pipe to get all benefits from porting with mine the biggest gain is on the mid to top end like most small bores The bike now will rev every bit like a 125 ive never tried this but i think if i held the throttle wide open it never would quit revving to eternity now lol. As of your jetting issue unfortunately all efforts are in vain with the #5 stock slide You might want to visit my post" Heres some help for poor low end performance" here that addresses this issue
As for spooge I have zero you should consider maybe a different oil right now im Using Motorex Crosspower @ 60/1 and am very happy with it no issues. It is 20 dollars a liter ill gladly pay that for a truly top notch oil for woods riding you can go at leaner mixing ratios than on the label as they are for a totally safe mix at the most extreme high rpm conditions,Yamalube would be my second choice if cost became an issue and i mixed it at 50/1 i have read some people at 60/1 with it also. there absolutely no need at all for a 30/1 ratio I have been running no richer than 50/1 for close to 40 years now with no oil related engine problems woods racing or just riding either one. The only one i know of to watch out for or maybe its all in the past now is Belray I know alot of people having every serious engine failure you can have even when mixing at the recommended manufacture ratio
NORTELPILOT

Post by NORTELPILOT »

Thanks bikeman..I just got a Lectron installed and all the smooge and lower gurgling is gone...I may need to richen it a bit though