Undoing A Suspension Lowering

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
m1886

Undoing A Suspension Lowering

Post by m1886 »

I'm in the final phases of reworking a 2002 KDX200 and this bike has definitely had the suspension lowered in the front and I suspect the rear as well but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not a suspension expert by any means but I found the pieces in the fork that sit on top of the top out springs that are lowering the front so I'm confident I can undo that change but I do have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. After I remove that spacer above the top out spring, is there normally a shim or washer that sits in that position or does the end of the spring just go directly into what I think is called the cartridge holder?

2. What is the stock length for the spacer that sits above the fork spring? Mine is 49.5mm. I ask because I wonder if they have shortened that spacer to compensate for the fact that the forks were always compressed 1.5" and maybe they would do this to soften up the initial travel a bit. I think I have a spec for the free length of the standard fork spring so I should be able to check that to see if they swapped springs as well.

3. The suspension links are the stock size so I'm guessing if the rear suspension was lowered it was done internally on the shock. Does anyone know the stock hole spacing for the rear shock? I'm open to tearing open that shock to undo something that shortened its length but I'd really rather not if I don't have to.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Undoing A Suspension Lowering

Post by KDXGarage »

1. no, it just hits it

2. 90 mm. With the travel limiting spacer installed on conventional forks, I think all one needs to do is jut shorten the spacer to compensate. Check your preload and go from there. You might need to make some new spacers from PVC tubing.

3. I am not sure on the legnth.

One option might be to have someone measure the free sag on his normal bike, and you can compare your numbers to his. Be careful to measure it exactly as the other person does. Sorry, I can not measure mine.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

I just measured mine and the measurement is 116mm or very close this is the measurement for the linkage where a lowering link would be, but keep in mind a 2inch lowering link is only about a half a bolt hole longer due to the linkage ratio Good luck!
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Shock measurement is 428mm eye to eye, the stamp on the dog bones will be more of an indicator if it's been lowered. I think few people lower the shock internally as dog bones are so easy to swap out, even to make home made ones
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)