Tear down report with Yamalube 2r

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
bikeman2502001

Tear down report with Yamalube 2r

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Here's what my KDX looked like after 7 hours ive torn it down to send the cylinder to Fredette racing to be ported, This is with Yamalube 2r @50 to 1, I have not touched any of these parts with a rag to clean them up, Everything looks great but there is slight carbon on the Kips, If anyone has an even better oil that would have been cleaner I would like to know what it is, All my friends and I have always had these same results for over 30 years, Its an oldie but still good buy any means
Attachments
SUNP0136.JPG
SUNP0136.JPG (3.55 MiB) Viewed 4456 times
SUNP0130.JPG
SUNP0130.JPG (3.59 MiB) Viewed 4456 times
SUNP0124.JPG
SUNP0124.JPG (3.61 MiB) Viewed 4456 times
SUNP0118.JPG
SUNP0118.JPG (3.59 MiB) Viewed 4456 times
SUNP0117.JPG
SUNP0117.JPG (3.51 MiB) Viewed 4456 times
bikeman2502001

Re: Tear down report with Yamalube 2r

Post by bikeman2502001 »

After thinking about it knowing the problems that occur with the kips valves I think this was excellent every where but the power valve I only had 7 hours on this top end and there was already carbon on the kips, Ive heard alot of great about motorex cross power 2t its really expensive
but its mixed at 60to1 so you use less and is low smoke im trying this next
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Don't forego the bearings to keep the power valves clean. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

KDXGarage wrote: 01:49 pm Jun 25 2020 Don't forego the bearings to keep the power valves clean. :-)
What he said...the KIPS is going to collect carbon regardless of what oil you run. But go to light on the oil and you run a very real chance of under lubricating the big end bearings. More important to jet the bike correctly to minimize the spooge, but the very nature of how a 2T works you're always going to have carbon buildup and unburnt suspended oil.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

thank you for your help here, I actually had little to no spooge as my jetting is close,Im not too concerned with a little unburned oil But im going to try everything to keep the power valves clean as i can get, Ive done alot of research on motorex many claim over 100 hours on a piston and also comment on how it keeps power valves clean, By the way how many hours are going between power valves cleaning? You can read alot of reviews on rockymountainatv on many oils, i live in a heavily populated KTM community and talk to many using mororex as it is the recommended oil from KTM on its new bikes I havent read a bad report as of yet just expensive and it is 20 dollars a liter I wont know until the next tear down but this is the direction im am going to go. As for the bearings Back in the 90's i hade a new KTM250exc And was using motul at the recommended 60 to 1 and on a very fast trail i heard this terrible noise i have never heard before coming form between my feet It was my main bearings howling!! I jammed on the brakes and took it easy for the rest of the day and luckly with a richer mixing ratio i didnt have any more problems,
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

I use Motorex on my KTM 300 and KDX 200 at 50 to 1. I think 60 to 1 is fine, but it takes me awhile to move from the 32 to 1 I started at with the KDX recommended ratio in the old service manual. I think many top end oil brands would work. Motorex works for me and everything was reasonably clean, including power valves, at 100 hours.
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Although I haven't run Motorex crosspower 2T in my KDX, in my 2018 YZ 125 I've run a mix of oils, and I'm jetted pretty well.
In NZ, you can get a Yamalube 2R racing version (this is full synthetic and has a blue label on it, not the stuff I see you guys get in the US). This was the cleanest burning oil of the lot and I mix at 30:1.

I have run Motorex now too, full litre through the bike and I get a bit more black ooze out the PV breather. I'd say it doesn't burn as clean as the Y2R that I have been using.

I have also used H1R, 927, and Maixma K2.

Honestly, Motorex is nothing "special" as opposed to Yamalube or any other quality oil. Slightly different additives etc yes, but if it is very expensive I wouldnt bother. Over here, Motorex is cheaper by $20 per litre than Maxima, its just the way the distribution works.

If I was in the US, at the prices you can get it, I'd be buying Maxima Super M.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

What I am impressed by the most is the fact that the videos of ktm guys using it at 135 hours compression is still like new at 210 pounds and he did not even see the need to service the power valves at all because there wasnt any carbon on them at 135 hours pretty impressive. It is supposed to be mixed @60 to 1 I mixed my first tank today and seems to be highly concentrated im not going to worry because there are too many Ktm's having great success with it. I paid 20 dollars for a quart which is definitely the most I have ever paid for any oil But the selling point for me was the lack of need to service the power valve @ 130 hours that is my area of greatest concern. Some claim it smells good I dont notice that at all just average synthetic oil smell
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Motorex is good, mostly synthetic. comparable to Motul 710.
If you want as little carbon as possible then run full synthetic like Motul 800 or Maxima Super M.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Thanks for that info I have used them in the past If i remember correctly you"ve been on this website for quite a few years back like close to 15 good to hear from you
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Jaguar wrote: 12:38 am Jul 18 2020 Motorex is good, mostly synthetic. comparable to Motul 710.
If you want as little carbon as possible then run full synthetic like Motul 800 or Maxima Super M.
Motorex crosspower 2t is a full synthetic. So is motul 710. Maxima Super M is a semi-synthetic 50/50 blend but with some ester formulation.
You'll get more carbon and spooge runnning Motul 800 than crosspower - 800 is a thicker higher flash point oil designed for high rpm racing.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

I agree with you 100 percent, I didnt have near the luck with motul so far the motorex is the best oil I have used in the clean burning catagory I think the two drops of spooge that i had was only blowing what very little yamalube that was already in the silencer, This is my plug on the first ride with crosspower and is the best Ive ever had under the exact same conditions. Im @ 60/1 I will buy one of those cameras that fit in the spark plug hole to keep an eye on things but so far so real good!
Attachments
SUNP0006.jpg
SUNP0006.jpg (1009.88 KiB) Viewed 4144 times