cyclinder compression testing

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Merchman

cyclinder compression testing

Post by Merchman »

What's a good cyclinder compression tester for 2001 KDX 200H bike? :hmm:
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: cyclinder compression testing

Post by rungrandpa »

For compression testing I bought a $30.00 unit from O'Reilly auto parts.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/mi ... orer?pos=1
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

BTW, I was taught the secret to using a compression test is to use the same gauge in exactly the same manner EVERY time and keep a record of trends more so than actual numbers. In my case I always test stone cold, throttle wide open, kick 8-10 times rapidly until the gauge stops rising. 160 on my gauge might be 150 or 170 on yours, especially if you test differently. Just my $.02.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

doakley wrote: 02:18 pm Jun 17 2020 BTW, I was taught the secret to using a compression test is to use the same gauge in exactly the same manner EVERY time and keep a record of trends more so than actual numbers. In my case I always test stone cold, throttle wide open, kick 8-10 times rapidly until the gauge stops rising. 160 on my gauge might be 150 or 170 on yours, especially if you test differently. Just my $.02.
Well said! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

As an adder, compression checks are just one indicator, not the “be all end all”. We don’t talk about it much it seems in motorcycles but a bore scope to let you actually see what the cylinder looks like is a very informative tool.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

I just stick my phones camera over the plug hole with the flash on. The future is great.
I like turtles
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

We use the phone a lot in construction. All you need is a slot big enough to slide half your phone in the hole and take pics with flash inside of walls or soffits. It works great but never thought to use it over the spark plug hole. The inspection camera “bore scope” I have doesn’t flex enough so I only get to see the top of the piston and not the walls.
Two_stroke_brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Two_stroke_brit »

John_S wrote: 10:06 am Jun 20 2020 We use the phone a lot in construction. All you need is a slot big enough to slide half your phone in the hole and take pics with flash inside of walls or soffits. It works great but never thought to use it over the spark plug hole. The inspection camera “bore scope” I have doesn’t flex enough so I only get to see the top of the piston and not the walls.
the cheap one i got of fleabay comes with aslip on 45 degree mirror ,ideal for just that. :boogie:
she might be older but still a fun ride.