Impeller nut removal

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
FWR

Impeller nut removal

Post by FWR »

So I’m trying to remove my impeller nut to replace the seals in my water pump and the impeller spins even when trans is held locked.
Does this indicate something is broken in my water pump?
How can I remove this nut from the impeller?
Any advice is appreciated.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Impeller nut removal

Post by kdxsully »

There should be two flat spots to hold the impeller in place with a 10mm wrench near the gear.
I like turtles
FWR

Post by FWR »

Would that be inside the right side case?
I think It’s just round all the way down but ill check it out again. Can post pictures in a little
Also this is a 02 kdx220r
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

The torque on that nut is only 87 in lbs. Normally, you would remove the nut while the inner clutch cover is still in place allowing the gear on the shaft to still be engaged. If your impeller is spinning with the cover on and the transmission in gear, somethings wrong. I'd try applying a torch to the nut and then hold the impeller with a shop towel while cracking loose the nut. Good luck.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If the impeller is spinning with the side cover still installed on the bike then you have bigger issues. As mentioned, it's only "supposed" to be 87 in/lbs so if it is spinning you can put a strap wrench around the impeller to hold it while you remove the nut. I would not try to wedge a screwdriver or something in the fins, they may break if you do. Make sure you're not in neutral while trying to pull the nut off as well
FWR

Post by FWR »

What would the bigger issues be if it can spin?
Should be working on it this weekend so anything to look out for helps
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Well the water pump is directly gear driven from the crankshaft. If your impeller spins when the crank doesn't, then the impeller shaft is likely broken which would warrant replacement. Get it open and take some photos and we should be able to get a better idea of whats going on.
FWR

Post by FWR »

Alright I know I’m pretty few and far posting here but I’m back and determined to remove this damn nut!
My first question is should I have oil in the bike still before trying this??
Drained it and was doing top end before the impeller Then moved to the impeller without refilling oil hoping it’s the problem.
I can put oil back in and try if that will work.
At this point I’ve stripped the bike and this is the last piece I need to fix before I can put it all back together.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you already have the right inner clutch cover off then just hold the water pump drive gear while you loosen the impeller nut. The water pump is gear driven directly off the crank, oil will have nothing to do with it
FWR

Post by FWR »

Yeah I have the right sid off i was just worried about marring up the impeller shaft. Will give it a try Thanks
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You can't mar the part of the shaft that goes through the mechanical seal because the impeller and seal are still in place. Just put a strap around the pump drive gear, should be plenty good enough to get the impeller nut off.