96 KDX220R Transmission gear orientation

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
TheGrizzle

96 KDX220R Transmission gear orientation

Post by TheGrizzle »

When I bought the bike from the previous owner, it wouldn't shift through the gears at all, but was other wise in good shape.

I split the bottom end and found the kips pin had been eaten by the transmission. I got a used transmission and installed it without major issue, spinning the shifter drum shifter through all the gears without any issue, without the shift shaft pawl installed.

When I put the shifter shaft in and shifted using the lever
(With the clutch case cover installed , I would sometimes hang between shifts and the output shaft would be hard to rotate. I was rotating the output shaft as I shifted, and even when it was hard to rotate, I was able to rotate it with more force and that didn't cause it to fully engage either. I would have to shift back down and try again, sometimes multiple times, before it would work. It's like the indexer gets stuck between, and can't fall into the next notch.

I looked back at the pictures I took when I disassembled and before I closed the cases with the new tranny and I notice that the orientation of that one gear that isn't circliped on the drive shaft (2nd gear) was facing bevel out in both my pictures, and in the Service manual it is bevel in.

My brother in law also has an 87 KDX that he parted out and that drive shaft 2nd gear was also bevel out. I realize that just because our 2 bikes have it bevel out doesn't make that the right answer, and shame on me for not double checking the manual before case assembly, but does it matter since that is not a dynamic gear?

Is there another reference that would supersede the Service manual?

Could that be the cause of my shifter problems? Or could it just be the fact that the engine isn't mounted in the frame, and I'm not fully engaging.

I realize that the right answer is to split the case and flip the gear, but before I do that I want to double check I'm not overlooking something else.

Thanks!
20200429_000716.jpg
20200429_000716.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1735 times
Note the Thrust washer is not installed in the photo above, this was the trashed tranny for a better photo.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 96 KDX220R Transmission gear orientation

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Going through some old pics I show the bevel goes in.
IMG_4251 cropped.jpg
IMG_4251 cropped.jpg (267.39 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
IMG_4466 cropped.jpg
IMG_4466 cropped.jpg (206.3 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

With the bevel out, the gear is binding on the gear next to it, that bevel is to allow that gear to ride in next to the one beside it with out contacting. This is one of those cases where the manual is right.