2006 - top end check and conrod

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2006 - top end check and conrod

Post by tucker »

Hi guys
I had my top end rebuilt probably 35-40 hours ago by my Kawi dealer. At the time I didnt know much about working on bikes, but thought i'd just dig in during the lockdown.

Below are some videos of my piston, cylinder and conrod - would be keen to see your thoughts. I think the cylinder looks like it could be due for a replate.

I would also appreciate some advice on my conrod - I tried checking for up/down movement, couldnt really feel anything, but my crank does move a wee bit (is that normal?), and there is some side to side play. I took the flywheel cover off and tried to move that up / down and side to side, no movement, so that was a good sign.

as far as it running, i have had no issues.

EDIT: excuse the breathing. i dont know why it sounds so weird on the video haha.

- conrod

- piston

- cylinder

Cheers
lizardfungus200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 2006 - top end check and conrod

Post by lizardfungus200 »

Piston and cylinder look fine. The rod play is fine too. The general rule is that if there’s no up and down play, your good to go, and side to side play is ok, which is true. However you can tell how much its worn by how much it “rotates” side to side, or how much of an angle the rod creates, as opposed to sliding side to side. So what you have is a used crankshaft with plenty of life left in it. Also, 2 strokes get faster as they age
Built to shred
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Agreed. :bravo: Everything looks good to me also.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Thanks all.

I also had taken my clutch apart but then put it back together. I was trying to move crankshaft by hand and it wasnt moving, so i pushed harder - it eventually went down with a bit of a clunk then wouldnt come back up.

i checked clutch and the basket wasn't properly seated with he hub. it now moves fine.

would i have damaged anything?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get some feeler gauges to check side play.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128