seized power valve in head

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
DeKay

seized power valve in head

Post by DeKay »

Hi All, Just Doing the top end on my 2005 H series KDX200 and all fine except one of the power exhaust power valve rods is totally seized in the casting, I have soaked over night but still can not move it in or out or spin it via the slot in the front. Any help will be gratefully received or what are my other option ie new casting needed can you drill them out then get a new rod etc. cheers :shock:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: seized power valve in head

Post by SS109 »

Which rod? The cross rod or one of the sub-valve rods?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

try using some heat to soften up some of the carbon build up if possible.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

When you say slot in the front that makes me think it's the rods that run front to back of the cylinder. Is the the right side (46102) that's stuck? If so that's the one with the oring on it that Kawasaki calls "packing" (43049). Did you happen to spray chlorinated brake cleaner in there? If so maybe the oring is swollen. Maybe it's just swollen or distorted from something else (carbon) lodging the rod in there.
If it were mine I would try the heat first like bufftester mentioned. Is every other piece of the KIPS out? I would also try to reinsert the main shaft (13107) through the right side. The smaller gear on it moves that rod front to back. If it's the left side rod that's stuck then put the main shaft plus the left gear (16085) and nut back on the left side of the main shaft. Then try grabbing the teeth of the main shaft and working the rods in and out by hand to see if you can free it up. Then I would (at my own risk of damaging the teeth) wrap a rag around the teeth and try "gently" getting the shaft to rotate with vice grips or channel locks. That's a little risky. Maybe spinning by hand only (with a leather glove where you can get some grip) and also applying heat at the same time. If it frees up you'd have to take the main shaft back out (goes without saying I guess) before the rod would fully come out. Let us know what comes of it.
image.png
image.png (256.18 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
DeKay

Post by DeKay »

Hi Thanks for the detailed feedback. Yes its the RH hand side horizontal rod the links the main shaft to the power valve.
Funny all the other power valve parts removed easily and looked relatively well maintained but this one is rock solid have tried heat and top much force and still will not budge. I Am prepared to sacrifice it and get a new one if only i can get it out. May have to take it in to the local mechanic to see if they know how to remove it without damaging the cylinder .

Other option has any one run their bikes with one exhaust valve in a static position as the other exhaust valve and the main one would work if i bypassed this some how???
kdx power valve rod stuck emailer.jpg
kdx power valve rod stuck emailer.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
:rolleyes:
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

I had to soak my cylinder in diesel for a week. That was after PB Blaster for a couple of days.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

rungrandpa wrote: 09:52 pm Apr 18 2020 I had to soak my cylinder in diesel for a week. That was after PB Blaster for a couple of days.
Wow!
I like turtles
rtbmrgl
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by rtbmrgl »

I like Kroil penetrating oil, works pretty good.
A guy on another forum uses this, the name cracks me up.
Attachments
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg (506.47 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
Mark
Roseville, Ca

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX200
'97 KDX220r
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger
DeKay

Post by DeKay »

rungrandpa wrote: 09:52 pm Apr 18 2020 I had to soak my cylinder in diesel for a week. That was after PB Blaster for a couple of days.
After this week did it free up and you could lever it out i have put my in diesel for 2 days but not that long so may leave it soaking.
thanks for your help :bravo:
DeKay

Post by DeKay »

rtbmrgl wrote: 02:44 pm Apr 19 2020 I like Kroil penetrating oil, works pretty good.
A guy on another forum uses this, the name cracks me up.
Great name you would have to be carefull when googleing this one may get other pages pop up cheers for your help :kick:
DeKay

Post by DeKay »

Part at local motor bike shop now so will see if they know any more tricks to free it or even to get it out so i get a replacement part.
DeKay

Post by DeKay »

Mechanic got it out by welding a slide hammer onto the stuck power valve rod after soaking for about a week, so now just need to find a replacement part as the removed one total stuffed???
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Ouch. :shock:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Geez, that might’ve been overkill. Power valves don’t come cheap.
I like turtles
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

DeKay wrote: 04:10 pm Apr 19 2020
After this week did it free up and you could lever it out i have put my in diesel for 2 days but not that long so may leave it soaking.
thanks for your help :bravo:
Mine came out after a week.