Engine swap for 1999 kdx 220

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
dhalls

Engine swap for 1999 kdx 220

Post by dhalls »

Hey guys,
A few years back I blew a hole in piston in my 99’ kdx 220 at the dunes and long story short, small pieces of metal went through the lower and top end of my engine completely destroying the casing and every thing inside. It’s not repairable. Anyways I’m looking to maybe do an engine swap and am wondering what you guys would recommend. I thought it would be cool to put something like a kx 450 engine in or something in since I already have another two stroke, but I don’t know if it would fit without having to cut and re-weld the frame which I would rather not do. Anybody have any experience with this? Literally looking for anything to put in it whether it’s Kawasaki’s engine or not. If a four stroke engine is not going to fit, I would try a two stroke engine too. I just thought the 4 stroke would be a nice addition. I also not sure if putting the heavier four stroke engine would ruin the suspension, I’m pretty light (150... maybe 165 after the quarantine is over) so I don’t know if it would be too hard on the suspension. I’m just having a hard time finding a kdx 220 engine to put back in it without having to pay for an arm and a leg for shipping. Also if you know anyone that has an engine laying around, let me know! Any direction would be great! Thanks guys!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Engine swap for 1999 kdx 220

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Do you have any pics of the current engine? (check my signature below for instructions on how to post pics)

I doubt you are going to bold up any non-KDX engine without major welding and fabrication. You can look through the KDX to KX conversion subforum to get some ideas of wjat level of modification is needed to put a KDX engine in a KX bike.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You definitely aren't getting a 4T motor in without cutting out the lower cradle and reworking the front end of the frame. Even with catastrophic piston failure, the bottom end should be fine since they are physically separate, unless you somehow blew holes through the case. Everything is repairable, it just comes down to time and money. Another option would be to part out the bike
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I highly doubt the engine is as destroyed as you think. If you dont want to fix the engine part everything out on the bike and the engine.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
lizardfungus200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by lizardfungus200 »

Depends on how you like to ride, it might be a good idea to part it out
Built to shred