Anyone replace a float needle seat?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
from-the-Falcon

Anyone replace a float needle seat?

Post by from-the-Falcon »

Finally got my jetting pretty dialed after replacing the jet tower seal and installing a JD kit. Thought all was well but yesterday at a 90mi dual sport ride I noticed fuel leaking from overflow.
Pulled the carb thinking it was dirt or something hanging up the floats. Found nothing. Adjusted the float height a bit more, think I’m at 21mm now! Still had issues throughout the day. Not consistent. Didn’t make sense. Floats, needle and even the needle holder clip are new. I’m thinking the seat is worn. Maybe too much play side to side? Or actual cone of seat is worn?
I’ve seen you can pull them out with a tap but can I find a new one somewhere?
Is it time to just scrap this carb and go RB?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Anyone replace a float needle seat?

Post by kdxsully »

What about the o ring that the seat seals with?
I like turtles
from-the-Falcon

Hmmmmm. Could be but can I get the seat out without damage to check it? Also, the leak is not consistent so I doubt this is the problem.
Anyone know the correct part number for the float needle? Jets-R-us lists two different numbers. Maybe I got the wrong size? Got it from Rocky mountain so I would think it’s correct but you never know.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Have you tried the polishing the seat trick?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
from-the-Falcon

Yes, I polished the seat with metal polish on a q-tip in a drill. The seat looks ok, no pitting. If anything, there could be too much wiggle room for the float needle. That’s why I’m thinking it’s worn.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you're leaking fuel out the overflows with your float height set to 21mm you got a problem somewhere. Is it the OEM PWK35 or an aftermarket carb? All PWK carbs use the same float needle, there is only one part# but Jets-r-us lists the part # and their SKU# (their own internal part #) together so it looks like 2 part #s. I'd suggest maybe a bad float but you say you put a new one in. With the carb off the bike you can close the float valve and see if you can suck air out the fuel inlet to check if it's sealing off or not. Sounds like your float needle is not seating correctly or the seat is damaged in some way.