Odometer not working

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Rexann

Odometer not working

Post by Rexann »

2001 kdx 200 anybody know what could be wrong and how to fix?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Odometer not working

Post by bufftester »

Assuming the cable is connected on both ends, put the bike on a stand so the front wheel is off the ground. Unscrew the cable from the bottom of the odometer, and give the front wheel a spin. The inner cable should rotate inside the sleeve. If it does, then the problem is inside the odometer unit. If it doesn't, remove the cable from the front wheel hub and check that the inner cable is not broken by rotating it from both ends. With the cable off you can look inside the hub drive hole and see if the worm gear is moving when you rotate the wheel. If it isn't, then you would need to remove the front wheel and pull the hub drive off to see whats up. Generally its either a broken cable, or the cheap plastic odometer gears inside the unit break.
Rexann

Post by Rexann »

Ok I’ll give that a try thanks!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

and be sure that the drive unit was lined up properly during reassembly. There are a couple of tabs in there.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Rexann

Post by Rexann »

:cool: 👍
KDXGarage wrote: 03:21 pm Sep 10 2019 and be sure that the drive unit was lined up properly during reassembly. There are a couple of tabs in there.
Thekid1995

Post by Thekid1995 »

my odometer wasn't working this morning so I did as you said I got the front tire off the ground and spun the tire, I spun it for quite a while the odometer didn't change so I disconnected the cable at the odometer and spun the tire the cable didn't turn. so then I disconnected the cable from the wheel and manually turned the cable with my fingers and it spun on top so my problem lies in the wheel adapter. I removed the front wheel and cleaned the wheel adapter. It was a mess mud caked old grease and a bit of plastic. I also cleaned the wheel where the adapter mates, I put the two together turned the part and watched where the lower cable drives and it wasn't turning, so I cleaned the adapter more and removed the snap ring that holds the plastic gear and below that a race or washer. I found a broken lug of plastic in the bottom, so being a machinist I thought how can I repair this, so I found a 1/8 inch diameter pin and I cross drilled the plastic gear cut the pins to the proper length and inserted them in the gear. presto it works great hope this helps someone out there.