Case Shattering Backfire

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tnelson3

Case Shattering Backfire

Post by Tnelson3 »

A while ago I bought a 96, put in a new Wiseco Piston, vforce reeds, ignition coil, cdi, voltage regulator, stator, and clutch.

Anyways I can’t seem to turn the thing counter clockwise enough to retard it, it’s always got a hiccup and back fires. I’ve turned the stator fully clockwise and counter, can’t seem to get away from 6 speeds of reverse. The woodruff key is snug.

Now that I shattered the case on the kick starter and I’ll be buy a new case, I turn to you for any ideas on getting it to run correctly.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Case Shattering Backfire

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Sorry to hear of the trouble.

If it is going in reverse, it is a timing issue. The stator plate has three marks to get it lined up. Have you got any pictures to share?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tnelson3

Post by Tnelson3 »

I’ve adjusted the stator as much as I could far as timing goes. Can’t seem to think of any other reason, I even tried the old cdi. My photos are too big to upload. Tried all three timing marks on the old stator plate, I swapped all the new hardware off the electrosport stator so I’d have the timing marks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you shrink them to under 2MB?

Any chance you connected parts wrong?
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Watching this to see the fix. Crazy that it runs backwards.
Tnelson3

Post by Tnelson3 »

I’m positive everything is connected correctly, I have to split the crank case and replace the RH side and clutch cover.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, someone once posted about an issue with Electrex and they had made an error on swapping over parts.

If the right crankcase half is cracked, you might could get ir repaired. If you are going to replace, I suggest looking for a pair of halves, as they would be matched. Kawasaki only sells halves as a set.
Tnelson3

Post by Tnelson3 »

Snap, well I got the other half. I’m still waiting on my gear that goes on the end of the governor shaft to the power valve. I can’t have any luck finding one for sale. Ended up at eraplacement parts to get it, been waiting two months.

I had to order a new transmission output shaft and I’m going to need a new shifter shaft since somebody decided to weld the shift lever to it and wire out the splines...

Crank and all that is good. I’m putting in new crank seals too, since I’ll regret it if I don’t.