pipe choices

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

pipe choices

Post by targetman »

Hey all. I recently purchased an '03 200. It's pretty much all stock. The bike starts so easy and runs fine. My son and I both noticed though that my '86 200 has more of the 2 stroke hit. The '86 is stock pipe and FMF silencer. We are not riding any tight technical trails. What is the performanse like on the Pro Circiut ? Does DG make a pipe for the H model?
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: pipe choices

Post by TRUAX »

Pro Circuit I have on a 92 E-Series is more performance all over, I have FMF Gnarly Woods pipe on my 2001 H-Series out performs everywhere with emphasis on low end, sounds like the FMF desert is more top end oriented.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Im going with a Gnarly Desert because I also wanted a bit more of a hit on my '02 200. If your '03 has not had a fresh top end rebuild most would recommend doing that first.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ditto on the top end. Better to start with a known good engine before you go throwing money down the rathole of performance mods.😂
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

Yes the top end may need done, but the bike is going to have an exhaust system on it stock or not. I don't see upgrading to an FMF or PC as throwing money down at rathole. Think about it. Original top end since '03 and today I throw on an after market pipe. Then it suddenly fails tomorrow?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think they are saying that if you only have money for one, that doing the top end may be a better thing to spend the money on. EDIT ADD ON: Even if you have money for both, your time and money might be better spent on checking out some things before buying that shiny pipe that calls to almost all of us. :mrgreen:

Do what you want. Get that shiny pipe. I used to spend a fair amount of time in my life to plead with people about:

Have you checked the:

fork oil
shock oil
wheel bearings
steering bearings
linkage bearings
swingarm bearings
bought a service manual

I think doakley is saying there is a ton of money that can be spent on making it faster or better. He has already spent a LOT on his KDX. I think he is saying it is a slippery slope and easy to get lure into all the hop ups.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Bingo, KDXGarage! Exactly what I was saying, but quite tongue in cheek. It is a slippery slope indeed, but a fun one. And, yes, my bike is living proof. Saving up for the Lectron next!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HA! It's tough to stop. :-)
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

KDXGarage wrote: 01:15 am Apr 03 2019 I think they are saying that if you only have money for one, that doing the top end may be a better thing to spend the money on. EDIT ADD ON: Even if you have money for both, your time and money might be better spent on checking out some things before buying that shiny pipe that calls to almost all of us. :mrgreen:

Do what you want. Get that shiny pipe. I used to spend a fair amount of time in my life to plead with people about:

Have you checked the:

fork oil
shock oil
wheel bearings
steering bearings
linkage bearings
swingarm bearings
bought a service manual

I think doakley is saying there is a ton of money that can be spent on making it faster or better. He has already spent a LOT on his KDX. I think he is saying it is a slippery slope and easy to get lure into all the hop ups.
Yeah G(KDX) can be construed or even misconstrued using all known adjectives and most are applicable, but way before(in excess of a very long decade) I had gray hair and then into actually becoming good friends with him,he has harped on, preached about, railed on, smart arsed replied, inferred subliminally, beat his head against steadfast objects, browbeat and soapboxed the above mentioned items of necessity.

He is so steadfast in the above that the next time I am at his house I am going to rearrange his tools and parts bins.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

treelimb wrote: 06:53 am Apr 19 2019 He is so steadfast in the above that the next time I am at his house I am going to rearrange his tools and parts bins.
Future news headline

Local man found after being missing for two years, says he finished getting friend's belongings organized
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Future news headline

Local man found after being missing for two years, says he finished getting friend's belongings organized
[/quote]

Touche'.

The wife enjoyed your rebuttal as well.