'03 won't start after sitting for 6 months

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

'03 won't start after sitting for 6 months

Post by motoracerx »

Hey fellas. Since i did a semi-off frame restoration on my '03 200, i haven't rode it much at all. Got a WR450F and bought a '18 RZR XP Turbo side-by-side that's been seeing the fun.

Anyway, looking at selling the bike. It's been stored inside a semi-heated garage over the winter. I would start the bike throughout the year and run it around the yard or up and down the road and in some fields behind the house. It always started. So fast forward to this wknd, i pull the bike out, drain the gas, remove the carb, clean it with carb cleaner. I put the carb back on, fresh gas, fresh plug and commence to kicking my brains out. NOTHING.

Take plug out, and am getting good spark.

I was going to do a compression test next but didn't have time to get to it. It does a new jug and piston with maybe 3 hrs on it.

Any other thoughts, suggestions? A bad relay? , is there a fuse somewhere?

Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: '03 won't start after sitting for 6 months

Post by KDXGarage »

If it were me, I would clean the carb again. NO DIPPING!

No rat's nest in the airbox is there? :-)

Either way, take the seat off. The filter needs to be reoiled. There was even a Kawasaki service bulletin info on this years ago about bikes that sat in the dealership for a while. Re-oiling was instructed due to evaporation and gravity drain downward of oil.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Thanks kdx garage. I did notice some oil in the filter side of the carb where the oil from the filter did run into the carb.

I will do a more thorough cleaning of the carb. I didn't take any of the jets out, just used the carb cleaner with the straw.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There are so many little vents and areas where it gets gunked up. I have a 2008 TT-R125L that I cleaned the carb real well. BWAAAAP BWAAAAP anytime I try to give it throttle. (time to try it again). :?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Mine does the same thing and it always seems to go back to cleaning the carb again, with attention to the choke mechanism as well, FWIW.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"won't start after setting" seems to almost always be gunked up carb from old fuel. (thanks for draining out the old, that is a "sometimes" cause in addition to gunked up carb.