H Series VS. E Series

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: H Series VS. E Series

Post by TRUAX »

I really like them, rubber on top has held up well. I have a couple of them.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

TRUAX wrote: 10:01 pm Feb 08 2019 I really like them, rubber on top has held up well. I have a couple of them.
Thanks for the feedback!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have the same stand. It has lasted 8 years so far.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Well went through and did the fork seals earlier this week after getting back from the Mama Tried motorcycle show in Milwuakee. Noticed on the right leg that there was no o-ring on the fork valve, somebody must have been in there before because I couldn't locate it anywhere. I wonder how well that valve was functioning missing that thing? That leg is still on my bench actually... The dust seal is seated enough to just barely see the groove where that little clip lives, but maybe not enough because I'm having a hell of a time getting it into the groove. I walked away from it as I was starting to get frustrated, and I know this is when I start breaking OEM parts. Going to take a look at it tonight, might try to run a different style of internal cir-clip.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check to see that the fork seal is fully seated. If not, it might not allow room for the dust seal and circlip. It should not require a different kind of clip.

Good job to spot the missing o-ring.
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Must not have been fully seated, my suspicion is the bushing under the seal seat wasn't down far enough.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you replace the bushings?
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Yea I figured I would while I was in there, old ones didn't really look wore out though.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job!
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

More missing pieces... mounted a new front tire yesterday and replaced the bearings as they had a touch of slop to them. The dust seal on the rotor side was missing, makes me wonder if there was some questionable shop doing this guy's work or if he didn't have certain items on the farm at the time of repair. Also lightly sanded and then heat gunned the front fender and headlight cowling, brought some color back into it pretty nicely. I was going to replace the brake pads while I was messing with the front end, but the stock ones look essentially new. None the less, the front end I'm calling complete. A lot of firsts for me on this project, having fun learning some new things.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I didn't know they still made Metzeler. Jeff Fredette used to run those.
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

They are a little old, they came with the 92 E-series I bought a few years back. Figured I'd use them up, I'm not sure the full story on that bike but in the box of stuff that came with it there was what appeared to be a hand written note with KDX tips signed by Jeff. I know the bike was replated but not sure what else had been done to it. It still sits in my garage as I sold it to my childhood friend and roommate.
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Well the maiden voyage wasn't stellar. Thought it was my stock jetting not agreeing with the new Boyesen dual stage reed valves, swapped out to a 158 main as recommended and jetting seems on point looking at the plug. I'm not for certain what I have going on exactly but the bike eventually bogs and dies under load. Seemed like the frequency increased and eventually wouldn't start after dying, only over the course of fifteen or twenty minutes probably.

I also have that high compression reading from when I was just getting into the project. So maybe there is a lot of carbon build up and it is over heating? The bike did just sit around for the last five years after all. Otherwise my next culprit would be the cdi probably with the symptoms displayed. Kind of a bummer thinking the project was a wrap and the season is upon us up here in the tundra, but such is life.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Have you taken a look inside the KIPS yet? Its probably beyond skunked. Also if anyone has been in the engine, its possible the valves were reassembled incorrectly.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Turns out it was a something simple overlooked, some gunk build up on the petcock. Had to raise the needle up a setting as well. Have yet to do top speed plug chops, but it feels pretty on point for the other circuits, 4th gear plug chop looked money.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sweet. Congratulations.
zedicus

Post by zedicus »

i would bet that motor has been ported and polished and had the head re-chambered. 185 psi is exactly the limit of a 2-stroke on pump gas, so someone who previously built the engine and knew what they were doing. enjoy the torque, it did not run that way originally.

the compression ratio on 2-strokes can be up their with diesel engines, my 86 trx250r is about 16:1 and about 210 psi on a compression gauge, i run a very light mix of race gas or if i am being cheap some off the shelf octane booster. it is a PITA to kickstart but 4rth gear powerband wheelies make it worth it.
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

zedicus wrote: 09:57 am Apr 30 2019 i would bet that motor has been ported and polished and had the head re-chambered. 185 psi is exactly the limit of a 2-stroke on pump gas, so someone who previously built the engine and knew what they were doing. enjoy the torque, it did not run that way originally.

the compression ratio on 2-strokes can be up their with diesel engines, my 86 trx250r is about 16:1 and about 210 psi on a compression gauge, i run a very light mix of race gas or if i am being cheap some off the shelf octane booster. it is a PITA to kickstart but 4rth gear powerband wheelies make it worth it.
I hope you're right! I'm about to ditch the dual stage reeds and go back to stock, midrange just could be a little more smoothed out. I've played with the needle setting in both directions and while you can tell the effects of being richer or leaner, it still feels like there is a little hesitation and then followed by an abruptness of power delivery. It might just be the nature of this type of racing reeds, I've never messed with them before so this is new to me. But after this last little tweak, I should be ready to start enjoying the newly emerged nice weather.