KDX Custom Suspension Work Experiences

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Hello, I recently picked up an 04 200 and despite being in mint condition, I am going to have the suspension fluids flushed and the shock re-charged as advised by more experienced forum members (thank you in advance). I am most likely going to bring the bike to 707 Suspensions here in Northern CA to have them do the work and figure for an extra $125 I can get .38 springs put into the forks to fit my weight of #185. I will also have them re-valve for my weight and riding style (or lack there of). I was wondering if others have had suspension work done on their KDXs and what their thoughts have been on the subject? I am not looking to do the KX conversion at this time, but want to just update the current setup to fit my weight and slow riding style haha. I have had many different dirt bikes in my 32 years of life and have never had any suspension work done on any of them. From everything I have read, no matter the bike, it is the best "investment" or modification you can do. Once I get this done, it will be interesting to ride it against my 97 220 in stock form. If it is a "night and day" difference, then the 220 will get the same attention. Anyhow, any comments and advice based on experiences are welcome! Thank you.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX Custom Suspension Work Experiences

Post by KDXGarage »

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 9fffdd22d4

quantity 2

keep the stock shock spring

search for "shim mod"

One cannot do a true revalve on a stock KDX fork, as there are just ten of the same shims on 1995+. You can remove or add, and that is about it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Right on. Thanks for the input Jason!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I concur. Only way to revalue is to install gold valves and even then it is compression only, no rebound adjustment. I wouldn’t spend the money personally. If you really want a night and day difference, do the kx swap. You won’t regret it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You're welcome.

I once chatted with a guy about 13?? years ago. He said he had a place install compression valves, rebound valves with midvalves and rebound adjustment, with caps. It was the most extensive mods I have ever heard of someone doing, even to this day. He said that later he got some KX forks and they were a lot better than his KDX forks.

Racing Suspension Products sells compression valves, rebound valves with midvalves and the fork caps and I think they have instructions or product on the rebound rods.

"In my little opinion", if someone is new to off-road, intends to not race or ride very fast often, then 1995 + forks can be decent enough with a full rebuild, correct spring rate fork springs and the shim mod.

If someone thinks they are going to race or ride fast often, then go ahead and go for the KX "FRONT END". Think the WHOLE front end, not just "KX forks".

Somewhere in the muddy middle is KLX300 front end conversion. :razz:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

My first advice is to do a fork swap, does not have to be kx forks btw.
Putting properly weighted springs in, new fork oil and new seals can be done at home, it's actually pretty easy. If you weigh 185# .38 springs are to light, bump that to .41 for slow riding and .44 ish for faster riding.
So, I had a set of forks for a 93 done up at a suspension shop (similar mechanically to 95 and up kdxs. They where resprung with .41 springs (165# rider) and shim mods done, cost me $300. The forks are good no doubt. I also did an RM set up on my 95 kdx. Proper springs, good valving, some "custom" machine work etc, everything that could be done was. The total cost was close to $600, maybe $700. BUT, the RM front end is incredible, slow, fast narly crap, you name it, that front end rocks!
Take it for what you will, just info.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm a huge believer in just upgrading to a better fork. After putting money in to springs, rebuild, "revalve" :roll:, you have invested half the money to some upgraded forks (or more if you buy the Gold Valves) and you still don't get rebound adjustment and have too much flex. The '96-'98 KX forks work really well and can be found very reasonably. There are others that work even better.

Oh, yeah, I also agree that suspension is your number one upgrade on ANY bike. It matters more than all power adders combined.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
buellfire

Post by buellfire »

I have mxtech setup in my stock forks. They made a kit that would give rebound and compression damping. Works well but I do get some flex, which I notice on the road while applying the front brake. BTW I have plated my 1999 kdx200.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It was MX Tech that the guy got it from. Do you have caps with adjustable rebound? Can you post some pics?
buellfire

Post by buellfire »

Not sure how to post picture. Sorry
buellfire

Post by buellfire »

VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Yeah I will sleep on it for a little bit as right now I am unsure what to do. I think at minimum I will look into some proper fork springs, but if I can find a KX front end maybe Ill go that route. Without a garage I am really only comfortable with doing light maintenance on the bike, so doing a fork tear down and rebuild is probably not in the cards for me right now. Ill be patient either way as I am in no hurry.

Is the KLX a direct swap or is it similar to the KX where new bearings have to be pressed in and the whole front end including axle and wheel is needed? Although I am experienced, I am by no means fast and do not plan to be anytime soon.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KLX300 is direct fit. KX500 is also, but usually rare to show up cheap on eBay.

For KLX300, take off stock front end, then put KLX300 clamps and forks on. I think you keep the KDX front wheel. The caliper will have to be KLX300, plus brake line, unless you backyard engineer a solution to do KDX style brake line routing on the KLX fork guard / guide.

The benefit is just the larger tubes and no massive underhang. Internally, they are the same, but valving is different. The base valve is similar and so is the reverse bend shim setup. There is no "modern" rebound piston or midvalve and no external rebound adjustment (which I don't think is a huge benefit of KX). There is no need to shorten internally / pull up KX forks / buy handlebar risers, stem swap, etc.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

You can also slide in a drz250, xr400, or late model dr350 front end. They're 43mm. No machining, stem or bearing swaps. They're fully adjustable cartridge forks. I have a set from a drz on my 90 DX200 and am very happy with them. Arguably the easiest swap you can do. I imagine the kx swap that gives you USD forks is a better improvement, and it should be for the price and work involved.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I know that the USD KX500 forks/triples together don't show up that often on eBay, just looked out of curiosity:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/93-1-89-04-Kaw ... Sw4YJZZW3p

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Kawasaki- ... Sweq5auVBn
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I had my 93 suspension worked over along with new springs. I've also done a fork swap on my 95 with new springs and some custom stuff for my riding style. I like both. I would recommend .40 or higher springs (for your weight). Tuning is as important as the spring weight. Tuning gives you the ride quality you'll be looking for. Also, set the sag on the rear shock.
My thoughts on revalve and springs vs. replace, revalve and spring.....note, my E-series is used stock.....
Ultimately I think replacing the stock forks is the better choice, but it takes more time and more money, but I'm it's the better choice in the long run. I don't believe an average trail rider MUST do a full swap. Big advantage over stock is less flex and way less underhang to get caught In ruts and etc.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

My experience with the stock suspension upgrades was lack luster. I have always been one to try and push the stock stuff on bikes and cars. I think its kinda cool. But that did not work on my 2005 kdx. After riding it a while stock, i put in .44 springs for my 220 lbs, set the sag and oil height. I was shocked to see very little change. Both were great for very slow and technical, but both poor for aggressive riding with diving and some hard bottoming. Then I removed 2 shims while playing with oil height. Finally heavier wt oil. Still had similar characteristics...great slow not so great fast. So I did the kx swap, which can be done for around $150, for the basics. When I get some decent ride time on it i will post my thoughts.

I the end, if you want to have fun, ride at a fun pace, and be able to rock crawl all day, save your money and just run it. But if you want to be aggressive and ride it harder like an mx bike, the swap is needed. Unless you are Fredette and smart enough to figure out the stock forks. Have fun.
DesertRat!

Post by DesertRat! »

I just replaced the forks on my 97 KDX200 with 91 KX500 forks, had them lowered, revalve and serviced at Noleen racing. in Victorville Ca. this modification was the best thing I have done to the bike (ok maybe the Fredette porting and carb where good also) it cost about $260.00 at Noleen and I got the forks with triples,wheel and brake caliper on flebay for about $200.00 well worth the time and money.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

All in around $450 isn't too bad. Good to hear the real world pricing. I know that the KX swap is way better than the KLX swap, but I am still considering the KLX swap due to the ease of it. I can most likely do it in an afternoon whereas the KX swap I'd probably have to have a shop take care of. Unfortunately I missed out on a part out of a KLX out in Auburn (about 2.5 hours)! Oh well, I haven't been able to ride much due to work travel so I can afford to be patient. I'd like to do a KLX swap on one of my KDXs and the KX swap on the other, but I'll worry about getting one done first haha.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200