Pipe guards

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
javjacob

Re: Pipe guards

Post by javjacob »

I got my pipe back today with the guard installed. I will have to post some pics of it this weekend.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

For future reference...... Installing a Moose (or other inexpensive) pipe guard is very simple and goes (something like this;
1) Remove the pipe from bike
2) Clean the pipe
3) Secure large end of pipe guard with included band clamps and tighten securely
4) Bending pipe guard along pipe install band clamps every 3-4 inches (or evenly) until end of guard is reached, then tighten clamps securely
5) Use rubber mallet to beat the pipe guard down against the pipe tightly
6) Reinstall pipe

This should take about 1/2 an hour to an hour. IIRC I did my last one with the pipe on the bike.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
javjacob

Pipe guards

Post by javjacob »

Finally got the pics. The fit and finish is perfect.

2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

That guard looks sweet!
What color did your have your bike powder coated?
Do you have more pictures of the bike?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
javjacob

Pipe guards

Post by javjacob »

It was a high quality version of Kawasaki green but wasn't actually called Kawasaki green. The guy who powder coated the frame is really good.
Got some more pics in my build thread... I'll post the link... The only thing I really have left to do is clean up the hubs and calipers.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 0&start=20
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

First off, thanks to Javjacob for providing the pics and info on his pipe guard. I reached out to Mike Shown (very nice guy) at Flatland Racing (877-375-5527) and he said that he had a pipe guard in stock for an FMF Desert, so I ordered it. Well, when it arrived it didn't fit, so I called him back and we made arrangements to ship my pipe to him so he could custom fit it. I received the pipe with guard intact today, and I am extremely pleased with the fit and finish of this product. While Mike had my Desert pipe there, he made an additional 9 guards, so if you're interested in one, give him a ring.

https://flatlandracing.com/collections/ ... pipe-guard

I realize that some folks will say they will just stick with a $25 guard that they will fit themselves, and that is totally fine. I just decided to spend a little extra and get something I really like. Here are a few pics. I'm still waiting for my cylinder to get back from PowerSeal, so once I get my bike back together I'll post some pics of it on the bike.

2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

My fingers got hard scrolling back and forth viewing the pictures. THAT looks great. Yeah, your pictures illustrated why one pays extra for what they want and like. I'm unable to really verbalize an appropriate compliment other than your pipe and guard look raw and fabricated to perfection while maintaining a rugged look. Pretty much epitomizes a KDX man.

Sometimes I get under my truck just to look at the exhaust on it. Ford F250 4WD super Duty,gas burner,with a 3" manifold back stainless steel dual exhaust,no cats, that took 5 hours (after I had to take it back to quieten it down-4 hours initially) to fabricate. It is a work of heavy duty art not unlike the way your pipe looks now. I am of the opinion that it was worth the wait.

One hates to have to scuff something like that up but when you do, and you will, it will still emanate KDX and them urange bikes will notice and you'll not wince too much when rider and bike hit the ground or a stump cause that guard will be doing it's job. I'm going to his website and I already have a pipe guard. Hope Pro Circuit isn't taboo there-

Right on man. Ride on.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That's a damn nice pipe guard, right there. Mmm hmm.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Wow. Those pics are sweet! If I didn't have a refurb guard ready I would def go for one of those. Nice!

@treelimb: LMAO!
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220