Building a skidplate for the KDX

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Soo...I've been wanting to make a skid plate for the KDX for a while now and finally got the chance to get started. I didn't really see any skids that I really liked that I could buy, so I wanted to make one that had the protection that I wanted... mainly some good water pump protection.

Here is where I am at now. I made a template, traced and cut out it, made some reliefs and bends, and now I have the basic outline of it. Still want to plate up around the water pump a little bit and am hopefully going to be able to get some gussets in there to keep it from bending back into the water pump [should that ever happen]. I also still have to tweak the bend around the front of the frame (its pretty close right now...but could be better), weld up all the reliefs made sure the outside is ground smooth, put in a hole for the oil to drain thru (may make a little funnel kind of thing up in there to really keep the oil from going all over the inside of the pan), and drill the holes for the mounts. Also, I'd kind of like to something cool on the front the skid wen looking in thru the pipe...but I don't know what.

Anyways, enough blabbering... what do you guys think? Any suggestions or criticisms?

04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Building a skidplate for the KDX

Post by frenche200 »

great job. I find the angle to pump water dangerous in case of fall
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

nice going.. looks good so far..
KDX 200
KDX 250
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Looks good!

For what ever you are thinking of for a funnel just keep in mind that the plate will most likely get a "custom" fit and be closer to the engine after a few rocky rides so leave room. Maybe a piece of aluminum pipe about 1/4" tall around the hole to help keep the oil from going everywhere.

And I would reduce the height of the front of the skid plate behind the pipe or drill some holes in it for air to flow through. The plate going up that far might not really be needed. If the pipe doesn't stop it the skid plate probably wont either. :wink:

Not knocking it, just my .02.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

rbates9 wrote:Looks good!

And I would reduce the height of the front of the skid plate behind the pipe or drill some holes in it for air to flow through. The plate going up that far might not really be needed. If the pipe doesn't stop it the skid plate probably wont either. :wink:

You could take that extra length of skid plate and "wrap" it around the pipe to protect it too!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

rbates9 wrote:Looks good!

For what ever you are thinking of for a funnel just keep in mind that the plate will most likely get a "custom" fit and be closer to the engine after a few rocky rides so leave room. Maybe a piece of aluminum pipe about 1/4" tall around the hole to help keep the oil from going everywhere.

You bring up two good points. I wasn't thinking about the plate bending up...but that does make me think that I could weld a couple stiffeners across on the inside to help prevent that a bit :rock: and yea, a short piece of pipe a little bigger than the hole is what I was originally thinking too.

As for the front, you are right...if I smash something hard enough to need a skid plate in that area, my pipe would be destroyed lol maybe I will cut it down a bit up top... just have to make sure I can still get my mounting clamps on there.

also, makes me think about mounting along the bottom of the plate...id love if I could do it without having any fasterners exposed on the bottom and have it totally smooth. I'm going to have to get a good look. Maybe I can take some flat stock, stand it up on end, and weld it between the two bottom frame rails.... then on the skid plate, make my stiffners the same way out of flat stock standing on end... drill some holes in both and I can mount it that way! oooooo yea baby... id be able to slide over stuff like a mofo! I could grind down rails with it like skateboarders do! hahahaha o yea :supz:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I also am kinda of unsure as to how much plating I should do around the water pump... you think I should bring the skid all the way up to like halfway up the waterpump? or do you think thats too high? Maybe I just need to make sure there is something around the bottom to stop stuff from coming up from the bottom rather than worrying about it getting hit from the side.

and also, whether you are knocking my design or not, you may see something that I dont or have a better idea than me, I'm always open to suggestions. I'm a design engineer, I deal with that at work on a daily basis lol wont hurt my feelings!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Is that steel or stainless?

I welded these couplers to the frame for the mounting bolts.

Then I recessed the holes in the skid plate so everything is flush. You can just see those in this picture.