Dafuq is going on?!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ChrisZx7

Dafuq is going on?!

Post by ChrisZx7 »

Was having ish with my kickstarter. I would kick and it would miss and grind. I replaced the spring, 2 washers and circlip on back of mechanism because they were not there. Threw it all back together, and it still does it! Except this time, you can hear the gear grinding while engine is turning over.

What parts could make it do this?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Dafuq is going on?!

Post by Julien D »

The grinding when engine is turning over is usually the spring hitting the clutch basket because it's not correctly located in the keeper. The slip/miss is usually because the ratchet gear teeth are worn down, and do not catch consistently. There's your two "usual" answers. :)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Dafuq is going on?!

Post by scheckaet »

which spring did you replace? the big yellow one (the one that returns the kick starter) or the very small one that engages the ratchet mechanism? If it slips, that's usually the culprit. you can take it and stretch it a bit if you don't have a new one on hand. it should engage better after that.
ChrisZx7

Post by ChrisZx7 »

So that plastic piece in middle of spring being worn, is causing spring to not sit properly and its rubbing on clutch basket. The ratchet gear doesnt look worn..Ill just replace anyways.
ChrisZx7

Dafuq is going on?!

Post by ChrisZx7 »

scheckaet wrote:which spring did you replace? the big yellow one (the one that returns the kick starter) or the very small one that engages the ratchet mechanism? If it slips, that's usually the culprit. you can take it and stretch it a bit if you don't have a new one on hand. it should engage better after that.
I replaced the small one on back. Still slips.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Dafuq is going on?!

Post by scheckaet »

take apart and post pics.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

ChrisZx7 wrote:So that plastic piece in middle of spring being worn, is causing spring to not sit properly and its rubbing on clutch basket. The ratchet gear doesnt look worn..Ill just replace anyways.
That plastic collar can broaden your vocabulary when trying to get it all in place, correctly, long enough to get the cover back on.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

amen to that...