Pro Circuit Platinum 2 for 1995+ KDX is NOT discontinued!

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Kipsy

Re: Pro Circuit Platinum 2 for 1995+ KDX is NOT discontinued!

Post by Kipsy »

I'm interested in a PC P2, but I wondered if anyone could answer a few questions.

1. Do you have to trim the shroud to fit the PC? I have a FMF Desert on mine that fits just fine and there is no way I"m cutting my purple radiator shrouds. I notice a trimmed shroud in the above pic.

2. I have an FMF desert and TC spark arrester setup on my stock KDX200. It is in very good shape - no dings and isn't bent. I love it. All of the praise on here for the PC comes from people with the 220 or modded 200. On the 200, will the PC be a significant improvement over the FMF Desert? Will I keep the sweet FMF mid and top end power but get a little more low-end as well? Or will it simply shift the power curve down the rpm range slightly? Or will it make no noticeable difference. I've always wanted a PC because I couldn't get one. Now that I can, well, would it be worth it if I already have a great exhaust system. My bike is stock except it's jetted, no airbox lid, and a KIPS spacer. Freshly rebuild engine so it's running as it should.

I think I would get the 296 spark arrester, too, if I got the pipe. I think it's better quality from what I've read and I like matching exhaust components.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to waste money, but I don't want to pass on something better for my baby while it's still available.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Kipsy wrote: 12:00 am Jan 10 2024 I'm interested in a PC P2, but I wondered if anyone could answer a few questions.

1. Do you have to trim the shroud to fit the PC? I have a FMF Desert on mine that fits just fine and there is no way I"m cutting my purple radiator shrouds. I notice a trimmed shroud in the above pic.
My FMF Gnarly Desert Pipe touches the shroud and actually mildly melted the very edge of it.
I haven't installed either of the brand new pro circuit pipes on my bike and my very well used versions are totally bent, so I can't comment, but here's a brand new pipe on Carson Brown's KDX220R build:

Kipsy wrote: 12:00 am Jan 10 2024
2. I have an FMF desert and TC spark arrester setup on my stock KDX200. It is in very good shape - no dings and isn't bent. I love it. All of the praise on here for the PC comes from people with the 220 or modded 200. On the 200, will the PC be a significant improvement over the FMF Desert? Will I keep the sweet FMF mid and top end power but get a little more low-end as well? Or will it simply shift the power curve down the rpm range slightly? Or will it make no noticeable difference. I've always wanted a PC because I couldn't get one. Now that I can, well, would it be worth it if I already have a great exhaust system. My bike is stock except it's jetted, no airbox lid, and a KIPS spacer. Freshly rebuild engine so it's running as it should.

I think I would get the 296 spark arrester, too, if I got the pipe. I think it's better quality from what I've read and I like matching exhaust components.
The Pro Circuit pipe is the better all-around pipe. I think it's probably the best pipe overall for both bikes as it seems better tuned and gives a lot more low-end torque than the FMF Gnarly Desert, which the 200 is seriously lacking in, without cutting the revs any noticeable amount. If you measured it on a dyno you might see a 200 RPM drop in top end power curve, but it's quite negligible. The Gnarly Desert pipe is tuned for a higher RPM range that is on the cusp of what the KDX ignition is capable of (it would rev out a lot higher with more power with a custom CDI) unless you sacrifice all low-end power and set the ignition timing on the lower static setting on the stator plate for maximum top and rev. Then you have absolutely compromised all low RPM power, and will stall out trying to go up slow steep technical hills like a 125 2-stroke, even with the Pro Circuit pipe, & ESPECIALLY with the Gnarly Desert.

RM Stator and Race Tech Electrics sell a PeakRPM KDX CDI that advertises I believe 1,000 RPM higher rev out due to a slightly altered timing curve. Hand built versions will give more than that, but they are only sporadically available from Kelly aka SS109, and Michael Forrest aka Jaguar.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Kipsy

Post by Kipsy »

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a PC pipe.

I probably won't put it on for awhile so I won't be reporting back on performance any time soon. But whenever I decide to re-pipe and re-jet, I'll report back here and tell you my take on the PC vs FMF Desert comparison. Thanks again for making this happen.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

If your FMF desert pipe was hitting the shroud, something wasn't lined up properly or was bent. The woods leaves a TON of room, but even on the desert there's a good 3/4" clearance.
'00 KDX 220R
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 10:05 am Jan 16 2024 If your FMF desert pipe was hitting the shroud, something wasn't lined up properly or was bent. The woods leaves a TON of room, but even on the desert there's a good 3/4" clearance.
Pipes get easily bent... The Gnarly Woods pipe seems a bit more rigid due to shape and clearances/size, but the head pipe area is what gets bent on hard spams on all pipes, so none are immune. Bent, not dented, is what I'm referencing.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Kipsy

Post by Kipsy »

I was curious. When I was next to my bike I measured the clearance on my FMF Desert. No dents, no dings, no crashes. 7mm clearance. It's a little closer than I might like. My bike's radiators aren't visibly bent, but who knows. Maybe a rubber damper/hanger is a shaped a little differently. I don't know, but I guess what clears on one person's bike may not clear on another's. Good thing to keep in mind.

But this assumes that all FMF pipes were created the same. I could see their being some inconsistency in the mounting locations.
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

So the Fortnine up here in Canada has these Pro Circuit pipes in stock............ but as much as I really wanted to get one I couldn't justify the extra $100 over what the Gnarly Desert & Woods pipes are. So I put in my order for a the desert pipe today. It will be an interesting comparison as my oldest runs the stock pipe, the the younger brother runs the Woods pipe. Looking forward to the snow melting so we can get out!
Go Riders!
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

That stock pipe is going to give up the power band way before any aftermarket pipe is going to.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

Yeah, my oldest, who's not an aggressive rider, actually doesn't like riding the younger ones bike cause he finds it too responsive and hits too hard. Each too their own I guess. I'm just excited about finally putting some miles on this project bike!
Go Riders!