95 h series kips governor lever

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
RPM

95 h series kips governor lever

Post by RPM »

Just my luck these days. Rejetted the bike and found that kips was non operational. Not knowing a ton we pulled the head used a 6mm wrench on the kips shaft and righty loosey. Got it all cleaned up and back together still no kips movement through the visual port. so tear it down and pull clutch case side no parts to be found :shock: mind blown. So now the question is did the pin and broken parts make there way to the far side of the case or did someone manage to remove them in previous ownership.
At loss on what to do next. Order the part and slap it back together or send it out for a rebuild. the bike felt great other then falling flat on its face. shifted great with no problem. No clunks or bangs.
Attachments
4AAA3112-16EC-473A-8AEB-D5DD1D520AD7.jpeg
4AAA3112-16EC-473A-8AEB-D5DD1D520AD7.jpeg (806.8 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 95 h series kips governor lever

Post by KDXGarage »

I'd look VERY close inside the right - outer side cover and right exposed side of the engine.

I'd suggest getting a service manual / Cyclepedia.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
RPM

Post by RPM »

I do have the manual. And I have been searching for the piece. It has to be somewhere. I’m not sure I want to personally split the case. I would likely send it out. I may pull the motor and give it a good shake and listen if anything is rattling around.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you the one that broke it, or did someone else? I must have been confused on your righty-loosey comment.

If you didn't break it, then maybe someone before you already took it out. Look at a new one and see how much of a fragment there would be. I think it would be tough for it to migrate into the transmission area.
RPM

Post by RPM »

This is my first kdx I have about 10 hours on it. I did not check the kips before riding or purchase. It did seem to have a hard time on steep climbs. The piece is quiet large so I’m unaware also. Seems strange that someone would open the case and remove that piece and put it back together. The nut on the kips shaft that holds the fork is reverse thread and there is a 6mm Flat on the shaft that you hold to keep from shearing the pin (Governor lever) in the case.
Attachments
0EA10910-2058-4C87-9747-4784EE9DBCB1.png
0EA10910-2058-4C87-9747-4784EE9DBCB1.png (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2854 times
E8C56C4B-21E1-47C0-88B4-3FCB39598933.jpeg
E8C56C4B-21E1-47C0-88B4-3FCB39598933.jpeg (806.8 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would not be too surprised if someone else broke it, then removed the piece and kept riding. Maybe not to that extreme, but a lot of us have "thrown it back together" to get a ride in. Sometimes that includes not going back and tidying up what was left undone.
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I got a new governor piece when I ordered top end kit from my local kawi dealer (the lad is a big KDX fan and said i should replace it). In saying that, my KIPS operation is normal following rebuild. Is it easy enough to remove and replace with a new one? Not exactly sure what I'm doing but I have done the top end and KIPS so i'm sure i could manage it. Just dont want to bother if its painful to do and my existing one is working fine.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

What KDXG said, or they had it get ground into dust and changed the oil and never noticed it. That has happened too. It definitely has had the head off previously, because that is basically the only way that pin breaks off like that, have never seen or heard of one just failing in normal operation. Sometimes the pin lodges in a nice out of the way spot in the right side of the case. I would check around your shift pawls and under/behind the clutch. Also check your oil for a metallic sheen or evidence of any particles.

For Tucker, if it's working properly then there is really no need to go back in, unless you just like springing for new cover gaskets.
RPM

Post by RPM »

I will look more when I get the new gaskets and parts. I did ride the bike about 10ish hours since I’ve owned it and never had any serious trouble other then lack of power on steep grade. As well as stalling or wanting to on slow single track. So we set out to re jet the bike. That’s when we found the kips not working. When I opened the case to drain it I noticed a lot of metallic oil. Metallic in color. I couldn’t find my magnet otherwise I would know if it was magnetic or not.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It won't be dark brown like car oil.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That metallic look is likely the remains of the pin. IIWM I'd open the right side and inspect real good, flush the bottom end out with some kerosene, fill with oil and go ride. (after the pin was replaced of course)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get some SuperTech Walmart oil and pour it through.