01twostrokingfun

Houston, Texas riders?

Post by 01twostrokingfun »

Anybody in Houston???
Dr. Green

Post by Dr. Green »

I live in Katy.
Dr. Green and The Green Machine:

Frisbee Mod; UNI Filter; FMF REV Pipe (WOW!); V-Force 3 Reed Valve.
01twostrokingfun

I just starting riding again and expect to have my rebuild done soon. What places do you ride at? Any for free/open land places close to Houston?
Dr. Green

Post by Dr. Green »

The only place that I know of that is relatively close is Sam Houston National Forest. It's not free though. $8 for a sticker and then $5 for the day. Pretty cheap, but the stickers expire in August (I think). Sort of like a fishing/hunting license only good for a year. The trails there in my opinion are excellent. Lots or whoops, fallen timber, some sand, clay and a little mud. You can check out their web site, just google it. It's the Multi-use trails you are interested in. I was just out there last Saturday. I saw two other KDXs out there, but not at all crowded. I saw less than 10 people all day, which is the most I have seen in the two time I have been out there. Everywhere else seems to be more geared towards MX. I have heard Three Palms has some trail riding, but have never been there personally. If you go out to SHNF, I would recommend a water bladder stye backpack. If you don't have one Walmart sells a Coleman for around $20, which I can say works well for the money. I myself would only go with someone. The trails are set up in roughly 20 mile loops on the West side, so long way to go if you have problems.

01twostrokingfun

I do not have a spark arrester, have you seen or encountered a park ranger checking for this sort of thing?
Dr. Green

Post by Dr. Green »

No I haven't, but I have heard from others that they do check if they can catch you. (They are on horseback.) When you go out there to the parking areas, they have a form you fill out with an envelope to put your money in, a paper to carry on you and a paper to hang in your vehicle. It's all kind of the honor system, all 3 things have the same number on them. I still have the stock SA on my bike, so I don't worry about it.

KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

There's a place called Cycleland up in Nacogdoches, and apparently there's a lot of land there to ride on. One of my brother's best friends is a member there and goes every year. I might consider becoming a member myself
david

Post by david »

If you are up for a weekend trip, Red River Motorcycle Trails is nice. In Bulcher, TX.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

and yes, 3 Palms in Conroe has a considerable amount of trails to ride on. Nothing like the forest, but still lots of fun. Rio Bravo MX has a few miles of trail also, lots of dips, turns, and sometimes mud
Arkmage

Post by Arkmage »

I'm in Houston. Been thinking about paying the cash for a membership to HTRA and Skull Creek.

I'm really new to dirt. I've only ridden about 5 times in the forest on my wr250x. Between weather and work I haven't had a chance to ride the KDX anywhere but my neighborhood yet.
KDXrider1989

Re: Houston, Texas riders?

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I havent heard great things about skull creek, heard its real sandy and its slowly getting taken over by miners. I havent been there personally, but Ill ride there if I'm going to compete in a hare scramble or enduro. speaking of, anyone going to compete in the hare scramble at Rio Bravo on June 9th? you can bet that I'll be there on the KDX :razz:
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

david wrote:If you are up for a weekend trip, Red River Motorcycle Trails is nice. In Bulcher, TX.

I second this. If any of you gulf coast/South TX riders get a chance, this place is amazing. You can ride for days and not see the same trail twice. Also home of the Red Bull Last Man Standing Enduro a few years back.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live