Riding in New Mexico, suggestions needed where to ride

Reviews of riding areas...
Curly
Supporting Member

Riding in New Mexico, suggestions needed where to ride

Post by Curly »

Hello.
I'm in Colorado and need to do some riding this winter.

There's a strong chance I'll do a business trip to Clovis, NM in February and I'll most likely bring the KDX with me.

Any suggestions/recommendations for winter riding in NM?

James
2001 KDX 220, bought 8/10/22 from original owner, still had factory tires. Now ported, milled head, bored carb and revalved/sprung suspension.
1998 KDX 220 for wife (my spare)
2004 KDX 200 - Sold
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Riding in New Mexico, suggestions needed where to ride

Post by Chuck78 »

SS109 on here does a lot of riding in the desert southwest, as I believe he's located in Arizona. He may have some further insights on where to ride.

I have friends who live in the Boulder area as well as in Albuquerque New Mexico, and I had searched briefly in the past and saw several OHV trail areas or multi-use OHV legal trails South of Colorado Springs and in Northern New Mexico. It looks like there's quite a lot of riding to be had down there.

Up at elevations above the base of the front range, you definitely will have a lot of snow in the winter to deal with...
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
smelonas
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Riding in New Mexico, suggestions needed where to ride

Post by smelonas »

Curly wrote: 08:14 am Jan 24 2023 Hello.
I'm in Colorado and need to do some riding this winter.

There's a strong chance I'll do a business trip to Clovis, NM in February and I'll most likely bring the KDX with me.

Any suggestions/recommendations for winter riding in NM?

James
Sorry this is late, however, it might prove useful for future trips. All the stuff in texas is private. Lame, I know. I pay a grand a year just to go riding 4 times a season :doh:

There is cloudcroft/ruidoso, which will probably still have appreciable snow during those months and the sand dunes at mescalero. I have not ventured in to NM for riding, although my CR125 and TRX125 came from Clovis! I know that there are places around Clovis to ride. You should stop in at three ring cycles. They can probably give you some pointers.

Not a lot of help, but hopefully a starting point of some kind.

If you really want to stretch out your trip, hit me up and I can get you to our lease just North of Post in Texas. We have a ton of acreage and just had a race there a couple weeks ago. Enough trails that you cant ride them all in a day. 2.5 hour drive from Clovis.

There is an Enduro for TSCEC this weekend (3/16-3/17 in Turkey). I will be there, not with my KDX though as it is currently dead.
2003 KDX200 - Second Owner - KX Forks - Odometer intact - FRP shock valving - PC exhaust - Kickstand and handguards intact
Lubbock Trail Rider Member since 2021
NV200 2019, 2021, 2022

The lack of a like function on this forum is disturbing.

TX300i in my sights :tonqe: