Question for ID, MT and CO locals and folks who’ve ridden there...

Reviews of riding areas...
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Question for ID, MT and CO locals and folks who’ve ridden there...

Post by MoonStomper »

After searching through the forum I didn’t find much in regards to updated information about riding in some areas I’m interested in...

North Fork, Idaho
Anaconda, Montana
San Juan’s, Colorado

Planning to do a loosely planned, super flexible trip with my 16 year old son in late July / early August. Will probably pull our camper and boondock near the hotspots. Also, will be using my buddy’s place in Anaconda as a base camp. We’ll hit Pipestone while there also. I’ve already done some probing of that area on my mountain bike.

I’m interested primarily in learning where to access trails around North Fork, Idaho. Single track stuff that connects to Day 6 of The Tour of Idaho. I’m familiar with Lost Trails Pass (skied there last month) and drove 93 from Craters of the Moon to Kalispell. Love that drive!

I’m trying to also formulate a backup plan in case fire season smokes out the Montana and Idaho trails. Thinking that we’d have some awareness of opportunities down towards the San Juan’s and Moab. Would prefer to not go down there because of the rumors of crowds, but beggars can’t be choosers, right?

Any experience or knowledge of trailheads and quiet boondocking spots are appreciated. We are experienced in back country riding and prefer to avoid high traffic areas. Looking for high desert and western woods riding. Thanks in advance for your help!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Question for ID, MT and CO locals and folks who’ve ridden there...

Post by Goofaroo »

I’ve ridden the Idaho BDR but very little singletrack in Idaho. The Tour of Idaho is on my bucket list and there is definitely a lot of good woods riding in Idaho and I’d like to hear a report.

I’ve been through parts of Montana on the Continental Divide route and the IdahoBDR crosses over into Montana on several occasions. Clearly there are a lot of singletrack trails to be found and maybe someone will chime in with intel.

I’ve ridden very extensively through the San Juans but it is primarily Jeep trails. Spectacular and something you definitely would enjoy but maybe not what you’re looking for on this trip.

Taylor Park just south of Buena Vista is a singletrack destination. Plenty of camping in the area and trails of all skill levels. I’ve been through there many times on adventure rides but one day I would like to pull the bikes up there with my motorhome and spend a couple of weeks riding the area.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Taylor Park looks promising for an alternate if we get smoked out of Idaho/Montana. I hear the crowds can be dense though depending on exactly where and when you go.

Also thinking of the La Sals east of Moab.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I’ve been through La Sals on the Utah BDR.
I timed it to arrive there in late September so it would be fairly cool. I rode the White Rim Road the day before La Sals. It was about 80 degrees but I was told it was over 100 a few days before I arrived.

Taylor Park would be best the last week in August into early September. Less people after Labor Day.

I’m planning a loop between Lake City in the San Juans and Moab. It’s a GPS track the guys at Rocky Mountain ATV laid down. Probably early September.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Not sure if you've solidified your plans yet, but if you are making your way down to CO, another great place to ride is Sargents. Tons of single track that varies in difficulty. As of now I'm probably attending the annual Mountain Moto Meetup from August 13-15 - Mountain Moto Meetup There are enough trails in the area that it's not congested.

Like Goofaroo mentioned, Taylor Park is another great option. I've been there several times during the 4th of July, and while there are quite a few campers and people around, it doesn't seem to be too bad when doing single track since there are so many areas to ride. I would think it would be better away from the 4th/Labor Day. A lot of the traffic in the area are SxS.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition