5 Miles of Hell, San Rafael Swell, Utah

Reviews of riding areas...
swatts

Post by swatts »

Took the 220 out last Wednesday on the famous 5 Miles of Hell trail, with our guide Scott Wheeler. Needless to say, it was one Kawasaki with four KTM's, three of them two-strokes as well.
I am happy to report it took us 2.5 hours to clear the trail. Definitely a tough one, Scott was happy with our progress, although he can ride it in one hour, then turn around and ride it back in the same. We entered from the Goblin Park entrance on the highway to Hanksville, Utah and not off the ranch road from I-70. We were staying in Moab, was a 1.75 hour drive to the San Rafael Swell riding area. These trails were laid out by the famous **** Brass, and are awesome. We had other guides suggest to us that we could do better than 5MOH, but I am very glad we rode this trail as I've known about it for over five years, and with it being considered a tough trail, which I would agree with, I'm glad I have it under my belt. We also hit the Red and Green trails, which are also tough, but faster and awesome in their own right.
So, for me, this is a must-ride trail once in one's life. Do it with a good group, have every guard on your bike you can, and lose the fear and ride.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

pics??
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

My wife and I did a cycling trip in moab this year. That place is the best!
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
torgo
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by torgo »

I'm riding Moab next year and collecting all the info I can. Care to report how the KDX did, issues, small RR?

Thanks
Sorry honey it was an impluse buy.
swatts

Post by swatts »

Well, as for KDX performance, even taking in the fact that I wasn't the best rider there, the KDX is just slower than the KTM's. There were two 300's and two brand new, linkage 250's two-strokes. All way faster. We'd get off the slick-rock and hit the sand or a flat trail, and they were gone, I couldn't charge hard enough to keep up with my friends as they are good riders on good bikes. Plus, with my auto-clutch, and for the technical, I run pretty low gearing, 12 front, 51 rear. The KDX also would heat up, steam over, and lose coolant in long sand stretches and on the 5 Miles of Hell as it's so tough. Suspension wise my rear shock had just been done and was good, my forks still beat me up even with new oil, preload spacer and heavier springs just done. If you're riding with all KDX's then there won't be a problem, or also if you are by far the better rider there same deal, with more modern bikes they'll just have to wait, and you better be in good shape physically as you will have a harder time. We rode 5 hours every day, for five days in a row, you feel that no matter what bike you are on.
The main thing you should figure out before you go there is knowing where you are, what trail to take, how to get back, etc. We had guides that knew every trail we were on to the turn. We just reached out in the forums and met these guys, they were happy to ride with us. You pay big coin for a paid guide ($600 day we heard), and a map and a GPS will only help to a point-make sure you have them though.
swatts

Post by swatts »

Trying to post pics, trying Google Docs:

https://picasaweb.google.com/ScottBrand ... directlink
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Awesome!
I gotta go with my kdx someday.....
Fletch
TrophyHunter
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TrophyHunter »

My favorite 5 MOH video. New here....pending purchase of a redone '86 KDX200 so I can knock a few of these "must do's" off my list. I just don't think my DR650 would be happy on that trail.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

TrophyHunter wrote:

My favorite 5 MOH video. New here....pending purchase of a redone '86 KDX200 so I can knock a few of these "must do's" off my list. I just don't think my DR650 would be happy on that trail.
Welcome,
Should be Five Miles of Heaven...
Fletch
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Definitely 5 miles of hell. There's plenty of rough single track out here, but that stuff... Looks pretty rough! Are all those step ups as steep as they look?

Maybe on a trials bike?? :lol:
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

Comming from a mountain bike background I have made 8 trips to Moab. Its our Mecca. Looks awesome on a moto. Some trips we would have rock climbing gear, hiking/canyoneering gear, and the bikes. That place rules if you like to play rough. I can't wait until my boys are a bit older and experienced. We will be going with the moto's for sure. Thanks for the trip report.
In dog beers, I've only had one.