He fought the tree and the tree won

Reviews of riding areas...
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

He fought the tree and the tree won

Post by DirtBikeDad »

Almost put this one in the Injuries section, but since the swelling went down, we'll just call it a ride report. :supz:

You know you haven't taken your son riding in waaay too long when you load up the bikes and notice that while his front tire may have 75% of it's life left, it is completely dry rotted.
:naughty: :oops:
We'd been doing yardwork all day and at 3:30pm decided to take a quick run over to Rockcrusher and play. Obviously that tire wouldn't last very long on the SX style jumps so after a few phone calls, we found a replacement at Union Powersports.

By the time we picked up the tire and a new tube it was 4:15 so we nixed Rockcrusher and just headed over to Davenport Mountain. After a few choice words and a little blood on the knuckles, all was right with the world and we mount up. There is only one other guy there and he is heading out for his last loop of the day.

Wilson takes the lead and has really picked up speed since our last outing. One lap clockwise and the only time he stumbles is on the big hill climb where he forgot all about his friend "Mo". After a brief water break, I asked if he wanted to try out the big bike. That mistake is gonna cost me about $1K-$2k. The boy leaves me in the dust and when I finally catch him at the bottom of the big hill, he is grinning from ear to ear and has decided that it is way past time to get a bigger bike. We swap back and decide to take one more loop before calling it a day..... isn't that ALWAYS when it happens?

After crossing the main road, I was steadily pulling away from him and then realized I hadn't caught even a glimpse in several of the switchbacks so I pull off and kill the motor. Sure enough, it's quiet as a church mouse. Couple of Woohoo's get no response so I spin her around (two way trails) and head back. A couple hundred yards back he is standing next to his bike with his helmet off and the strangest combination of grimace and grin going on. That's when I notice the fender and tree.

Seems he came around a corner with a water break in it just a little too hot to realize that once airborne, a bike and rider generally tend to travel in a straight line. ::duh::

His knee took a good lick and was already starting to swell, so we head back to the truck and load up. By the time we made it home, he had a nice sized goose egg going on, but after ice and anti-inflammatory meds overnight all is on the mend this morning.

Looks like I get to be a first time plastics buyer....any recs on brands to buy and/or stay away from? Seem to recall that one particular brand has a reputation for being brittle, but can't remember who it is. Oh yeah, knee guards (at least) and a larger steed are in his future as well. :roll:
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Ouch! I like UFO plastics, Acerbis fades and cracks in my experience with them.
'00 KDX 220R
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Your bike was mad at you b/c you haven't been riding her enough :cool:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote:Your bike was mad at you b/c you haven't been riding her enough :cool:
Amen to that! I'll be making it up to her though because she'll get the full spa treatment over the next 30 days (Fluids, filter, grease everything, new front tire, revalve and new seals for the suspenders and fresh silencer packing) plus copious seat time pepping for a 3 day ride Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park with a bunch of crusty old spodes from the rec.motorcycles.dirt newsgroup. Y'all should all join us for this remake of the 2007 spodefest. July 16-18. http://www.bmmspark.com/

Thanks for all the tips on plastics guys. He wants to save up and buy the full kit and then put the KX on the market when he saves up enough for a KDX.
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

That's a painful looking knee.
I just bought some cool kneeguards from rockymtn, MSR brand. About $60.
They articulate fully and are extremely comfortable.
I feel confident they would have taken the brunt of that hit.
As an older rider who's recovered from various injuries like this, I'm constantly looking for better safety gear that won't interfere with the ride.