Carolina Adventure World

Reviews of riding areas...
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Carolina Adventure World

Post by wanaride »

Carolina Adventure World (CAW) is a new riding area in SC. It is located about 1 hour south of Charlotte and is easily accessible from I-77.

CAW has an extensive trail system with over 100 miles of trails; easy, moderate, difficult, and most difficult (single track). The trails
are very well marked and are connected by dirt roads all over the
park. The only trails we rode were easy because of the kids, but we
all had a great time. The easy trails are slightly wider than
ATV-width, and the soil was very sandy. In some spots the "soil" had
the consistency of all-purpose flour and traction was tricky at times.

The easy trails had almost no uphill or downhill sections, and the rocks were very few. There were also very few ruts in the trails, which is surprising considering how many ATVs were down there. Brushy Mtn, despite their claim that they are more focused on dirtbikes, has much more rutted trails in my opinion.

You can really have a good time blasting through those easy trails. I
kept it slow to prevent one of the kids from trying to keep up with me, but I remember thinking I could banzai through there with no problem! I do remember seeing some "black diamond" trails as we were cruising through. One of them looked like a goat path up a pretty large hill at a respectable angle; that would definitely be challenging for me.

The MX track is boring. It, like the rest of the park, is clearly focused on ATVs. (The "mud bog" and "rock crawl" reinforced that point. :grin: ) There were two tabletop jumps and one small jump in a fast section, and that was it. The MX track is long and fast and that made it fun, but if you like jumping, you will probably be disappointed with their MX track (and you are probably on the wrong forum anyway... :razz: ) I still have not
tried their "endurocross" track but I want to.

The ATV/dirtbike ratio was around 60/40 and some of the trails are two
way, but despite all of that, we didn't have any problem. To the
contrary, we had a great time. CAW is still very much "under
construction", but it is a wonderful riding area and Lord willing we
will go back many times in the future.

The easiest trails at Brushy Mtn are more difficult than the easy trails at CAW. I think CAW is a great place to trail ride with your kids. My kids like the kiddie MX track at TNT better, but the trails (and the food) are much better at CAW.

Downsides? Well, the sandy soil sometimes makes for shaky traction on the trails, and the MX track is definitely not made for a jump-jockey. Will
we go back? Absolutely!

EDIT 11/27/07: I've been back and rode several of their intermediate trails...loads of fun and much more interesting than their easy trails! The endurocross track is interesting too; it is poorly marked so it is difficult to know what direction to ride in, but there are several sections with different types of obstacles.
Last edited by wanaride on 10:56 am Nov 27 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good report!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
TMcFaddin

Post by TMcFaddin »

Just recently rode Carolina Adventure World ( January 24). The place was a mess! The trail that we rode were covered in slop. All trails we rode were rutted out by ATVs. Trails were not marked well. The staff person we complained to after paying $26.50 & riding for less than hour was terribly rude. I wouldn' t waste my time here if I'm riding a trail bike. Check TNT , Manchester, or Enoree after hunting season. CAW is not worth the $$$ or your time. :partyman:
skullnbones

Post by skullnbones »

I've ridden CAW plenty of times and have always had a great time. The facilities are top notch and they are constantly improving the amenities. The MX track is not "supercross", but it is fun without killing yourself or destroying your bike. Lots of ATVs, but I always see a lot of dirt bikes. A 60/40 split is probably accurate. The easy and intermediate trails are more fun to me than the black diamond trails since I can use more speed. Depending on the weather leading up to your visit, the park can be VERY wet and muddy in the low lands. Really muddy. Usually, dirt bikes find a way around the slop and the ATVs go right through the mess. For a day or two worth of riding, I love CAW. I try to go once a month. You definately get a lot of bang for your admission fee.
camelking6969

Post by camelking6969 »

i just rode caw, this past sunday. all i can say was worth the money. we rode 60 miles and never hit the same trails. mx track needed some grooming but trails were in good shape. if you in the area stop by