Slippery rock dunes - Western PA

Reviews of riding areas...
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I took the kids here for the first time yesterday and was pleased with the value. They have an mx track, a woods trail with some quad (mud) options, and a couple beginner tracks. Also a sand play area and some hillclimbs. You can camp over the weekends for free, and they have nice, clean bathrooms and showers. Not a huge facility, but my kids loved it and couldn't get enough. I didn't get any mx attitude either (it's your fault for not getting out of my way), the adults were fine with my kids on the main track. One of the kids had a flat, and they had spare tubes for sale, and a compressor, and offered to loan me tire spoons. They also had food and cold drinks, some of the bigger places don't.

I will be sure to visit again. Google slippery rock dunes for more info.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Re: Slippery rock dunes - Western PA

Post by ICRage42 »

Cool deal its only an hour from me. Do they have a food cart or is there like a stand there? Ill check out their website more. Thanks for the heads up didn't hear about this one! Ill let ya know if I can hit it or not and if you can as well.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

don't see a map of the trails are they pretty easy to follow or marked well?
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Pretty easy to Follow. Not a huge place but makes for a fun afternoon.

I will be at he AWRCS race this weekend at Southington, BTW, If you want to stop by.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Ya know you coulda mentioned it earlier it was in my back woods lol.

Yea for sure guy. Ill check what times it is and make it there this weekend. You do know its just gonna be a sloppy mess right? and will probably also rain like you wont believe while here. Its supposed to rain for like the next four days and we got hit with well I parked my truck and slightly aiming downhill and bed was full and gushing out the rust holes by top of bed rails. Its swamped and there is a part of the road shut off by nelson ledges it was too deep to go through so shut off till drains off. Just about right before you get to nelson hill.

To be honest I don't know if it will happen but if it does Im taking pictures of ya :lol: I have a garden hose for rent :boogie:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Spot 14

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

sorry bro would of loved to have went even tried telling myself I could get done in time if I started early in the morning. Been having to do clothes and rugs and clean carpets and basement. Like I said we got hit hard with rain and well even tho I put new spout pipes to the ditch this summer I still got basement flooded some. Still got hit less then anyone else. Ironically after I told you we got hit good we got it again. Second rain is what got me.

How did you do .....course had to be terrible!?
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

That was cool, I was talking to the course marshals and decided to sit this one out. There were lots of quads swamped on Saturday and the quad riders were begging the score girls to end the race early. Then I watched the utvs demolish the sand on our course. My favorite part of the track last year was the woods trails, but they were wiped out with logging and the rain.

I separated my shoulder in June, and didn't want any part of the rocks hidden in the sand, coupled with the greasy track in the woods. I am just trying to get 7 races in for a class trophy at the end of the season, and I can do that with the home race in 3 weeks and the last one in October, which is double points.

My kids did ok, the little one got 6th in the peewees, and the big one got 9th out out of maybe 17 in youth. Even the older youth riders were struggling in the woods. My older boy was running 5th and until he crashed in the mud about halfway through, which took the steam out of him. He was 10 seconds behind 7th and 8th.

What's funny about pictures is that I take pictures and videos during the races for my kids and friends, but nobody takes mine... It helps to keep me from getting nervous while my kids are riding. To be fair most of my friends are on the staff and are busy during the race. The pro photographer finally got a good picture of me during the Clintonville race on the KDX. I will have to buy that one and post for all to see.

I did get the suspension guy to do a quick suspension tune on my YZ. He sets the sag and clickers for $20, well worth it. Of course, I was out of my weight rage with the shock spring. It's amazing the difference he can make in just a few minutes. I need to bring the KDX by for him to set up.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Yea that park has changed quite a bit in these last few years. Used to be just the sand quarry you could ride on wherever. Used to go there with my buddy in his jeep eagle. If you don't know what that is its like a car station wagon with 4 wheel drive. That thing would go everywhere there. Use to take my 79 Yamaha 750 special back there. Then it was in question with nascar they wanted to buy that and also nelson ledges racetrack and didn't hear anything about it and youd get chased off if riding there. Then it became jeep school for trucks only and now its Southington off road park now. Its just not the same for me there anymore. Just up the road from there and the racetrack I have a good 8ish mile loop that pretty much runs up from 422 to the park on the right of that park. The archery place. To me that's more fun. But yea I knew it would be a muddy mess. Wouldn't dare go into it without 4wd and a winch.

That's super cool the kids had fun and did well. Sounds like they will be cleaning Southington clay for a while hehehe.

Oh for sure I love taking pics and just use what I have but do well. I worked as a texture artist for 3dmodeling for a while. Even done some work for movies and games and figurines. So yea if I ever catch up with ya Ill take some photos.

Yea Ive been tinkering with my bike here recently just cleaned carb and going through jetting guide again since I put the stock silencer back on. Thing is I did the whole jetting guide before and didn't have to change anything with the silencer I gave you. Spooge galore after mines and meadows a few times. Cleaned my pipe out and noticed I had a 160 and 40 I was like wth? wow that to me just seemed way off and so I am ordering jets and gonna post here some questions. But I got a new filter on the way and basically getting a ton of parts and most likely rebuild the engine whole in the winter so slowly getting er ready for Washington trip. I hope to get in two big days of riding before the end of season. One at slippery rock and another at mines and meadows. Theres also a hare scramble in hubbard if Im correct and I would like to run that as well. Just my money has been running low with home repairs and some of my gear got stolen last time out. At a gas station good thing I still had my helmet and boots out to clean they just got my goggles and shirt and pants and gloves. They were on tape too so we will see if anything comes of that.

Hows the YZ holding up? Good report of the day too!!!
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I got a race report yesterday and they said there were bikes stuck everywhere. Glad I didn't go out. I found a place to hose off the bikes before I left, so I didn't even have to clean them when I got home.

That stinks about your gear. I haven't had anybody take anything from me that I know of. I have left lots of stuff behind.

Wouldn't you know, the YZ fork seals were fine until I take the bike to a suspension guy, then he finds one leaking. I have a seal saver, maybe I can clean it out and get it to stop. I need to take a test ride to check it out his suspension adjustments. I was cleaning the camper last night, will have to make time tonight.

The YZ needed a clutch basket and I finally got a Barnett. The wiseco basket was heavily notched, and would cause stalling during the races. I couldn't get one under warranty because the original owner didn't keep the receipt, which isn't transferable anyway. It just so happens that my rekluse from the WR will fit in the Barnett basket (wouldn't fit in the wiseco), so I need to install that too. No stalling trouble with the KDX clutch, though.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I was at the dunes last weekend with the kids and had a good time. I don't think I will ever forget the image of my boy sailing past me over one of the jumps. I wish I would have had the gopro on. They are having a Grand Prix moto/harescramble on Oct 19th, that I would like to take the kids to.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250