Just Moved to Massachusetts

Reviews of riding areas...
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just Moved to Massachusetts

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Hello,

Well it finally happened. We left California and are now back east. Although I am one state over from where I hoped to be, it is close enough for now. As noted in the title we moved to Massachusetts, specifically the Boston area. When riding season opens, I plan on checking out a couple tracks in the area but also would like to ride any "local" trails that exist. I have done research on a few areas, but would also like to connect with other riders here in the area who have a greater depth of knowledge. Distance doesn't really scare me as I was driving 2.5-3 hours one way to ride in CA, so even driving 1.5 hours will be a relief to get to some good trails. I have a couple KDXs and also a Husky dual sport, so open to riding a variety of terrain. Thanks!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Just Moved to Massachusetts

Post by TwistedRoot »

Pachaug Forest has a 65 mile loop. Also NETRA.org hosts many events all year and they are mostly within a few hours of Boston.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

You might check into if there’s some ice racing up there. I know Wisconsin/Michigan/Indiana do a lot of that. Helps shorten the winters I’d bet!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Grouser58

Post by Grouser58 »

I'm dating myself, but back in the 70's and 80's we did a lot of trail riding in Miles Standish Reservation in Plymouth.
brider

Post by brider »

TwistedRoot wrote: 10:33 am Feb 11 2022 Pachaug Forest has a 65 mile loop. Also NETRA.org hosts many events all year and they are mostly within a few hours of Boston.
Lurking newbie here, is that loop an off-road singletrack loop, or mixed? I live in CT and just getting back into it, and there is a DEARTH of places to ride that I can find.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

The Pachaug forest loop is a trail that connects via several roads. Its open year round. You do need a street plated bike to ride it.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
Trackdog
Supporting Member

Post by Trackdog »

If your riding in "state parks", I believe you will need a "sticker"... :hmm:

I plan on riding the state parks in NH this year. Getting a sticker was easy in NH...just ask for one!

MA you will need to pay tax. or prove you already did.....
Hand written bill of sale and never date it more than twenty days out. You have twenty days to pay sales tax, or pay interest on the tax(IMO a fine) You also need a ST6, that's the form saying that you paid taxes and is done on line.

The problem these days is the state is seeing stolen bikes and want you to prove chain of ownership, not always but sometimes

Last time a check CT, the were only issuing stickers to residents due to the covid

I am also planning on doing some MX on my KDX. No shortage of tracks in the area that's for sure.
Rumor has it you will need to unlucky , or, wrong place at the wrong time to get pinched at a track
2004 KDX 200
2004 KX 125
1986 CR 125
1994 DR350
1998 VFR
2004 DUCATI S4R
Trackdog
Supporting Member

Post by Trackdog »

2004 KDX 200
2004 KX 125
1986 CR 125
1994 DR350
1998 VFR
2004 DUCATI S4R
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Thanks fellas. If I have a plated bike from another state does that make it legal to ride state forest land or do I need my bike plated in Mass? What about NH? If I get my bike plated in MA, do I still need a sticker? Sorry for all the questions, just want to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

TwistedRoot wrote: 10:13 am Feb 18 2022 The Pachaug forest loop is a trail that connects via several roads. Its open year round. You do need a street plated bike to ride it.
I was just doing some research on the Pachaug Forest. It looks sweet and only about 1.5 hours from the Boston area. Can I ride with a non CT plate? Also, do you know if there is a parking fee for day use or is that just for camping? I'd probably reach out to the Ranger station before heading down there, but figured I'd just ask you as well.

Thanks!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

VTMTcowboy wrote: 08:25 pm Jun 10 2022
TwistedRoot wrote: 10:13 am Feb 18 2022 The Pachaug forest loop is a trail that connects via several roads. Its open year round. You do need a street plated bike to ride it.
I was just doing some research on the Pachaug Forest. It looks sweet and only about 1.5 hours from the Boston area. Can I ride with a non CT plate? Also, do you know if there is a parking fee for day use or is that just for camping? I'd probably reach out to the Ranger station before heading down there, but figured I'd just ask you as well.

Thanks!
Im pretty sure any bike with a road plate will work. Your do have to connect thru roads to get to the whole trail loop, so you need to be street legal. As far as parking it depends on where and how much of the loop you want to hit and where your coming from. I have parked at the Netra lot but there are other areas to start from as well.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Right on. Thanks Twisted! I'll let you know if I make the trek down there. I am currently looking to add another bike the stable, just trying to decide of whether I go with something more expensive that needs literally nothing or do I save some money but the bike needs some after market goodies. I am leaning towards just crying once and spending the extra to buy the newer option, but we will see. Thanks again and take care.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200