Best silencer to get ?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Best silencer to get ?

Post by terrapinjam99 »

What is the best aftermarket silencer to get for my 2002 KDX200 ? I have the Gnarly Woods pipe , ( and properly jetted for that pipe ) . Also , will putting on an aftermarket silencer change my performance at all ? I thought I would go to an aftermarket silencer to trim some weight and for the looks. Thanks for any input.
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MontanaKDX »

Really, I don't believe there is a performance gain using an aftermarket silencer. You will lose a small amount of weight. I like the FMF silencers. They fit well and look nice. I have a Power Core II, It IS NOT a spark arrester. The Turbine Core II is a spark arrester and is USFS approved.
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

It does actually matter, because a purposely plug silencer is very restrictive, and could be the difference of 1-4hp(Especially on 2 strokes) lol. I would go with a FMF Q silencer if possible, but a Turbinecore 2 is decent. 96db is nice, and it has the same response as the Powercore.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Most folks here like FMF stuff, but out here in the desert I prefer Pro-Circuit. I swaped my PC for a gnarly pipe and found the PC has a broader power deliver that I prefer for combined open desert and tight single track stuff. I got a new PC silence/SA off ebay real cheap, but went back to the stocker (silencer) 'cause it doesn't melt my turn signal and plate. Power seems the same, stocker is quieter and looks dorky, but it's a KDX man, so I get ripped on any way. :roll:

terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

So the PowerCore II is JUST a silencer ?? And the TurbineCore II is a silencer/spark arrester ?? Why would I need the " spark arrester" component ? ( I mean , I know what its doing, but what type of riding areas actually require/inspect for the "spark arrester" component of a silencer ??

What is the FMF "Q" silencer ? Does that indicate that FMF makes 3 different options for my pipe ? And how does it deiffer from the other two units?
Of the 3 , which one is the loudest?

As always, thanks for your input.
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

The Q is the quietest by a large margin, and then the Turbine Core and Power core are probably about the same loudness, with the TC maybe a hair quieter due to the spark arrestor mechanism, but it has about the same amount of silencing material as the power core. The Q has a bunch more silencing material and is significantly larger in outer diameter than the TC or PC.
David Eckel