89-98 front forks

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

89-98 front forks

Post by KDXer »

Hi guys, I have a chance to off load my old conventionals and was wondering if anyone knows if they are interchangable to a 89 model ?? I know the spacers and bearings are the same but not sure about the clamps etc...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The headlight mounting is different between the two styles. You didn't mention whether you are selling the wheel with it, but the axle is different between the two styles. On the 1989 - 1994 models, there is no 4 hole clamp like on the 1995 and newer models. I would also wonder about the caliper mounting holes, as the H model caliper holes look further spaced than the 1989 model.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Jason, I would also wonder about the caliper mounting holes, as the H model caliper holes look further spaced than the 1989 model.

Hmmm, sounds like I might be hanging onto them in that case. DOH. Thanks buddy.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Were you talking about just the tubes? Does the potential buyer have a 1989 model?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The clamps will interchange, everything else will not. If you want to sell the person with the 89 KDX your forks, caliper, wheel and axle then it will be a direct bolt up. If your going to do that though you might as well give them your old top clamp in the deal. Its much nicer than the 89-94 top clamp because you can turn it around and get the bars out of your lap.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well he has bent the top tube and its about 10mm from going back into the top clamp. So he could either use mine for parts or he would have to try and find a front caliper.... Not so easily done over here.... Cheers Mo

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Why is it so hard to get parts in AUS? Are there few KDX's sold there, meaning few parts to choose from?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You got it in one..... They are pretty rare, parts wise anyway. There a usually a few for sale in the paper but parts bikes and spares are hard to come by.....

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It seems that most folks are wising up and parting out bikes on eBay instead of offering parts bikes. Most parts bikes I see should have been thrown away years before they let it sit out in the sun and rain for years. I never did grasp the whole concept of having a motorcycle salvage yard out in the weather. "I will buy this bike, then let it rust and devalue". What kind of stategy is that??

Good luck on your sales. Maybe you can just put them on eBay. You would have been welcome to the set of '89 - '92 forks I have a picture of in my gallery. They are long gone in the trash now, though.