New KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
pinitwot wrote:well i would have to get one of thoes sizes.

go to the link that 91 KDX 200 posted you will see what i am talking about
Karl already answered your question....

The CC sizes listed are for the different available 'oversize' Wiseco pistons. As noted...'oversize' or not, the pin bearing is the same.

Repeat: You do not bore a KDX cylinder to an 'oversize' as a general maintenance/repair process. If the cylinder is bored to ANY size, it must be replated (or sleeved). The aluminum of the cylinder will NOT work as a combustion/piston-contact surface.

A bore/replate process is something done at only a few places and it is relatively expensive. During normal use of your bike, it will be required seldom unless there has been damage done to the plating surface (by intake of dirty air or some physical failure of an internal part for example).

All set?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
cb350racer

Post by cb350racer »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:>

For the record...there are those that say the OEM 220 piston is fine unless the bike is considerably modified. There are also those that have deemed the 'Change it or lose it' idea nothing more than an 'internet rumor'.

Both of those points of view are simply wrong. Bone stock 220's have fragged when the piston let loose, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a bike with thousands of hours on it to blow up.

If you value the bike at all..if you expect to ride it at all...the OEM piston has got to come out.

Everyone else that's stated that idea is correct...them's the facts of the matter. Not trying to beat you over the head with a big stick about it...but if you don't get the deficiency straightened out sooner than later, you're asking for it. Sometimes the end result can be resolved with a piston change. Sometimes it destroys the entire engine.

If you want to roll them dice, you aren't a thinking kind'a guy.
You're presenting a good case for doing the piston sooner rather than later. I had hoped I would be OK because the bike was stock and so low mileage. Looks like I'll be doing it sooner rather than later.

Good idea on lubricating the suspension linkage. If the bike wasn't ridden much, the suspension probably wasn't maintained either.
cb350racer

Post by cb350racer »

>|<>QBB<
91kdx200 wrote:http://www.psep.biz/store/kawasaki_dirt ... n_kits.htm
Here is a link to Wiseco pistons, your bike is about 3/4 of the way down.

Wrist pin bearing:
http://www.psep.biz/store/kawasaki_dirt ... arings.htm

Gasket set:
http://www.psep.biz/store/kawasaki_dirt ... et_set.htm

I have ordered all my pistons and gaskets for all my rebuilds from this place and their prices alays seem the cheapest for engine parts. I would just rebuild it to be on the safe side
I checked the wiseco site and the cost of a single piston is $170 and the full piston kit is $231. Any idea why these guys are so much cheaper? Does the full kit from Wiseco give me something other than the Piston, Wrist pin bearing and Gasket set linked to above?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It wasn't maintained from the factory is the point. Kawy puts no grease in the rear bearings, nor the steering head bearings. Also, if the forks haven't been serviced, you're in for another treat. The stuff that was in my brandy new '04 was probably from a science fiction movie.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why? Dealer support. You won't get anyone to sell your stuff for you if you sell it for less than they do.

From the Wiseco link noted above:

Wiseco High Performance Piston Kits

Forged from high-silicon aluminum alloy for maximum strength and dependability
All Wiseco High-Performance Pistons are priced with rings, circlips and wrist pin unless noted
Wiseco wrist pins are strong, lightweight and can be used with OEM pistons, too
Two high-strength, easy-to-install circlips are furnished with every piston
Durability, longevity and increased horsepower
Innovative forging design and piston skirt provide maximum horsepower and torque

It don't say 'gasket'...it don't say 'bearing' ..which Karl already noted..and why there were other links provided for the bearing and the gasket.

I'm saying I understand this:
Does the full kit from Wiseco give me something other than the Piston, Wrist pin bearing and Gasket set linked to above?
..as having already been answered. The 'kit' gives you what they say it does as noted above in italics.

Consider the source

smuggler

Post by smuggler »

Hey nice bike.
I have the same year, not in as great a shape as that one though. I was a bit skeptical on the piston issue too at first until I did the top end. The skirt on the piston had two small cracks about 1/4 inch long. I think it was near meltdown. i bought all my parts through Royal Distributing, in Ontario I think. Fast shipping and good prices.
2001 KDX 220
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
1996 Polaris XLT SKS
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I don't recall a Wiseco piston kit being that expensive.

I bought a gasket kit and piston kit through the local Kawy shop, though. They usually have free pizza in there when I go in, so maybe I didn't notice what I was paying.

The gasket kit I used was a Cometic brand. It came with some confusing extra bits.

You might check with your local bike shop. Most shops can get Wiseco stuff.

I got to agree that the original fork oil is some strange stuff. Stinky, too. At 175 lb with '97 XR400 springs I had the best results with ~7.5 wt. I mixed 50/50 10 wt and 5 wt, if memory serves. (getting old)
Fork oil changing and even spring changing is really straight forward.

Have fun! Don't forget to ride it a bit, too.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok thank you i understand the the needle bearing now. it is saying all the sizes it fits.

on the top end rebuild the link that 91KDX200 gave if i get the thing from each link that is all i need right?
the piston kit: piston, rings, circlips and wrist pin
the needle bering
and the gaskets??????
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Something you might consider to make the job a whole lot easier...a tool to help you torque the cylinder nuts:

A socket won't fit..and a wrench won't give you a torque value.

If you have a good calibrated elbow...that's fine. If you can't feel the difference between 10ft/lbs and 20ft/lbs, I'd suggest you get the above adapter.

Keep the adapter on the torque wrench at a 90º angle TO the torque wrench and you won't have to do any math to figure an increased lever arm vector (difference in wrench length due to the addition of the adapter NOT at 90º).

Clear as mud?

Great!

My job here is done.........

Consider the source

cb350racer

Post by cb350racer »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I don't recall a Wiseco piston kit being that expensive.

I bought a gasket kit and piston kit through the local Kawy shop, though. They usually have free pizza in there when I go in, so maybe I didn't notice what I was paying.

The gasket kit I used was a Cometic brand. It came with some confusing extra bits.

You might check with your local bike shop. Most shops can get Wiseco stuff.

I got to agree that the original fork oil is some strange stuff. Stinky, too. At 175 lb with '97 XR400 springs I had the best results with ~7.5 wt. I mixed 50/50 10 wt and 5 wt, if memory serves. (getting old)
Fork oil changing and even spring changing is really straight forward.

Have fun! Don't forget to ride it a bit, too.
Looking on Wiseco.com. They list it as a "Single Piston" Part#750M06900. With a little digging I see it includes The piston, rings, pin and circlips. $170.

They also list a "Piston Kit" Part#PK1599. They advertise it as "These kits contain all the parts needed to do a top end rebuild right the first time." This kit contains the piston, rings, pin, circlips, bearing and gasket kit. $231

It looks like the links you sent me in an earlier post all add up to their full top end rebuild kit. Except it's for ~$150 instead of $231.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have seen the entire kit on eBay for $119
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Does anyone know if those are the stock graphics? My '00 has similar ones, but the "220R" is on the swingarm instead. I kinda like it on the rad guards.
'00 KDX 220R
Widowmaker

Re: New KDX

Post by Widowmaker »

cb350racer wrote: 09:07 pm Jul 30 2009 I've been lusting after a KDX for awhile now and I've finally pulled the trigger.

It's a 2001 KDX220R and I'm the second owner. My next step is to buy a set of bars and handguards for it. After that...get it dirty.

Did you end up selling this bike? If so how long ago and did you end up putting a tip end in it?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

July 30, 2009 was the original post. You can check to see if someone is still around by when they last logged in. You can click on a member's name to see his / her profile.

For example, "Last active: 08:38 pm Mar 11 2010"
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Widowmaker

Post by Widowmaker »

After mulling over it I didn't purchase that bike. I did however purchase this one! Holy sweet **** it's nice. See profile pic